Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Transportation

I use the North 40 buses a lot since my hangar is on the north side of the field and it is a long walk all the way around the west end of 09/27.

One thing I would wish they would do with the north 40 buses is make stops, like the trams have. The buses take forever because for instance, you will have a person get off at row 502 and then another get off at 505... It would be better if they just had stops along the perimeter road, say at the fire dept,Weeks hangar, Hilton, the super8/friars gate, and the shower houses, the admissions gate and maybe one other stop on the south side of the north 40. It would sure make the buses a lot more efficient than stopping every 3 rows to let someone on or off.

For my first visit to Oshkosh I rented a room in a house located in town. My bicycle provided fun and quick access to AirVenture. I locked it to a fence and was into the action in no time. Plus, it provided easy access to my room for an afternoon nap. Of course I hauled by stuff by bicycle. I suggest a bike rack. When I purchased 80 quarts of round engine oil, the Phillips folks hauled it by golf cart to the Hilton and my 'landlord' transported it back to my room via auto. On Saturday evening I left for the last time and just look what was strapped to the rack. Good stuff.
    Name:  LindyBike.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  20.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DanWilkins View Post
    ...just look what was strapped to the rack. Good stuff.
    Nice! Congratulations!
    Ron Barker
    Manitowoc, WI
    EAA# 784308
    Webmaster - EAA Chapter 383

Fantastic!

i never considered transportation to be part of the airshow game plan. public transportation, to me, has always been like public anything. a simulation of what i needed and wanted, time-consuming, not enjoyable. but hey, it's a chance to showcase failures of public cooperation, so go for it. me, i walk. (Edited in an attempt to be less annoying)
    Last edited by Mike M; 08-14-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Actually, other than the rather odd experiment with the trams terminus changes, I didn't find transportation that onerous. I actually had little problem with the north 40 bus nor the "after tram" bus through the main show when coming back after the night airshow from Jay's party.

As for cooperation from public transit, I've never had anything bad to say about either the Oshkosh city buses or the cabs, the drivers always have gone out of the way for us. Hell, even some of the locals have gone out of their way to offer us rides in their car.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    but hey, it's a chance for the great unwashed to complain about failures of public cooperation, so go for it. me, i walk.
    Congratulations. This unwashed chose not to walk from the airplane in Row 115 in the South Forty to the Hilton and back.

Generally the trams and buses ran well, though they seemed more crowded than last year for whatever reason. The changes in interchange terminals worked out OK. I noticed trams running both earlier and later than their published hours. That's great, but it caused uncertainty and showed lack of coordination between the trams and the after-tram buses. In three occurrences we never knew what to expect at the north end of the tram line after 8pm, so we walked. Once a tram passed us, once a bus offered to pick us up. Only had to walk as far as the bus terminal, so it worked out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanWilkins View Post
    For my first visit to Oshkosh I rented a room in a house located in town. My bicycle provided fun and quick access to AirVenture. I locked it to a fence and was into the action in no time. Plus, it provided easy access to my room for an afternoon nap. Of course I hauled by stuff by bicycle. I suggest a bike rack. When I purchased 80 quarts of round engine oil, the Phillips folks hauled it by golf cart to the Hilton and my 'landlord' transported it back to my room via auto. On Saturday evening I left for the last time and just look what was strapped to the rack. Good stuff.
    Name:  LindyBike.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  20.0 KB
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    \ but hey, it's a chance for the great unwashed to complain about failures of public cooperation, so go for it. me, i walk.
    No, it's a chance for people like me, who've been coming to Oshkosh since 1970, a chance to suggest improvements because we love the fly-in so much and want to see an already-great event get even better. And hey, *I* walk a LOT too, and I'm there every.single.day of the fly-in.

Dan, congrats on your award!

I prefer to walk the show,transportation seemed to be running ok. I usually stay at Appleton ,this year did Green Bay and took the shuttle bus. Let off at the gate. Works for me.