Thread: Owner of Breezy with the Aeronca Champ Wings?

Question Owner of Breezy with the Aeronca Champ Wings?

Does anyone know who brought the Breezy built with Champ wings to OSH14? I am considering building a Breezy for a chapter project and we have a set of Champ wings and tailfeathers. I'd like to ask him about his building and flying experience with it. Thanks In Advance

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Does anyone know who brought the Breezy built with Champ wings to OSH14? I am considering building a Breezy for a chapter project and we have a set of Champ wings and tailfeathers. I'd like to ask him about his building and flying experience with it. Thanks In Advance
    Good luck getting it signed off ,te FAA changed there policy on that a while back and do not want you to use certified parts on an experimental. , now if you built those wings from scratch or from a kit like wag aero cub wings that would not be a problem , but already done wings will not fit the 51 percent rule

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Have no info on the Breezy but I don't see any reason why you can't do what you want. Have to come up with your own attach points as Champ wings don't match Cub attach points. Just run through the Appendix 8 checklist and make sure the project will remain eligible for amateur built status.
    Last edited by martymayes; 08-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Have no info on the Breezy but I don't see any reason why you can't do what you want. Have to come up with your own attach points as Champ wings don't match Cub attach points. Just run through the Appendix 8 checklist and make sure the project will remain eligible for amateur built status.
    Ask the local FISDO. But that is the reason the the bushmaster (a modified piper pacer)is no longer made/sold in the states or canada

I'll stick with my original suggestion. Follow the checklist in Appendix 8 of AC 20-27g. Use of components salvaged from certificated aircraft is not prohibited, if the builder can show he fabricated and assembled the major portion, not much anyone can say. That's basically the same guidance you'll get from the FSDO.

Good News! I ran our build concept, using built but uncovered Aeronca Champ wings and tail feathers thru the AC20-27G Appendix 8 Checklist. It came up as 56.1% Builder contribution. I'll be going over it a few more times, using the evaluation guidelines in the "Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009) Job Aid" as a guide. Thank you all for the input so far.

Fast Eddie did your project ever come to fruition? I'm considering the same thing. Thanks