Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good and Bad and Other of Oshkosh 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Because it's better than not attending at all. Perhaps you have some Mickey Mouse job where you can disappear incommunicado for two weeks, but in order to get a job that pays well enough to allow me to own and operate an aircraft, I need to check in from time to time.
    Ron, I hope you know or re-read my comment. *i* wasn't saying that; only putting words in the mouths of others who probably felt the same about being on the phone back then as others feel about some needing to be connected today.

I'm 60; ive worked avionics software my entire working life, so have been connected since the late 70's. I don't need to be connected most of the time while at Oshkosh, but when the late day storms roll in, you can bet I'm checking the radar sites so that I can either ignore them or take appropriate steps.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Because it's better than not attending at all. Perhaps you have some Mickey Mouse job where you can disappear incommunicado for two weeks, but in order to get a job that pays well enough to allow me to own and operate an aircraft, I need to check in from time to time.
    You're right, Ron. I know for a fact that there are many airline and other professional pilots with Mickey Mouse jobs on site for a week or two who never have to touch base with HQ. At the same time there are many who are a "little under the weather" or on reserve hoping not to get called that week (never me of course). For the latter group some good cell coverage and internet connectivity can be hugely important.

Only thing I used the phone and internet for was a Facebook scavenger hunt a bunch of us had throughout the week. Some of us have airplanes, most don't, but wandering around airventure largely without a plan is such a freeing experience if you have enough time to do so. Our friends who could not make the trip this year were tasked with coming up with the daily scavenger hunt ideas, it was a great way for them to stay active and see the sights while being thousands of miles away.

I'm not saying we're the future of general aviation since most of us are in our early 30's, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise when I'm hanging around the 'ol airdrome. I would love to see a youngster watching planes take off and land and say "hey kid, want to go for a ride?" Unfortunately for me the timing has never been right with my limited spare time to spend at the airport. A bit off topic I know, but the wifi and cell signal isn't the be all end all for most, but for a lot of people it makes the week just a little less stressful.

I was standing at runway 36 sunday watching arrivals land. The kid next to me was listening to live OSH tower feed on his smart phone.
    Another day while eating lunch, I saw Jack Pelton staring at his phone for several minutes under a shade tree at the headquarters building. I bet he had good wifi....

The need to be accessible ,to the home front,is of most importance. Also good to be able to communicate with the home airfield,to farm any questions for those that could not attend.

I spent the last year of my air force career on a radar site in the middle of the Bering Sea (Saint Lawrence Island if you want to look it up). My goodness how did we survive without even a telephone? Only snail mail that was unreliable in the best times due to the poor weather and unable to get air service in. I think there was some kind of MARS system but I never got to use it so the folks at home and myself had to rely on the written word. So it goes.........
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I spent the last year of my air force career on a radar site in the middle of the Bering Sea (Saint Lawrence Island if you want to look it up). My goodness how did we survive without even a telephone? Only snail mail that was unreliable in the best times due to the poor weather and unable to get air service in. I think there was some kind of MARS system but I never got to use it so the folks at home and myself had to rely on the written word. So it goes.........
    The Air Force had a remote radar site, presumably connected to NORAD in some hardened, secure fashion -- but they neglected to run a phone line "as long as they were at it"?

Apparently not as we were on an island 150 miles between Nome and Russia. I'm sure there was some kind of radio communication but nothing we could use to contact the home folks. There were some radio antennas called "White Alice" if I remember correctly (this was 55 years ago) but I'm unsure if they were used for communication or surveillance. Thinking about it...they were pointed at the mainland so I'm guessing communication. I was diesel mechanic so it wasn't really in my field. My only point with the post was we seemed to survive with only written mail from the home folks and girl friends.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    ...On another note: I help out at a local food bank. Yesterday while the folks were waiting to get (probably a dozen or so) I noticed at least half were playing with their 'smart phones'. It does seem to me that buying food for your family would be more important than having a smart phone that has a monthly fee.
    You never know, though. A lot of times these days "the working poor," of which there are many, are working multiple part-time jobs, have kids, responsibilities, are expecting/hoping for call backs from potential employers, etc., all things that make having a cell phone pretty useful.

However, those folks by and large are not wandering the grounds at OSH.

As to connectivity at OSH, since EAA has apps designed for Convention use, they need to get this particular house in order. Either that, or pull the apps. I've been heavily involved in large meetings as part of my other life. It's very frustrating for the members to try to use a feature or service of the organization only to have another part of the organization let them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    Y
    However, those folks by and large are not wandering the grounds at OSH.
    I don't know what sort of people you think ARE wandering the grounds of Ohskosh. My wife and I have disparate jobs and we both are expected to be reachable. Maybe you have a job and life situation were you can disappear for two weeks incommunicado, I would argue that's not the norm.

I think most of us can agree that for many people who attend OSH, cell phone coverage, and to a lesser extent internet access, is necessary to job-related functions while in attendance. My opinion is that EAA is in no way obligated to provide it.

To condense some specific comments I remember from the thread (paraphrasing)...

Big airports/hotels have wifi everywhere...yup, and it's used 52 weeks a year, which justifies infrastructure expense. Much of the Airventure site is a hay field the rest of the year.

EAA has an app so they should supply the bandwidth to use it....I have LiveATC on my phone, but don't expect them to provide internet so I can access it.

Wifi didn't work well in the woods....I suspect wifi works less than optimally in most woods.

I'm absolutely critical to my organization... (opinion again) If you are that important to your work organization, you, that organization, and the cell phone provider with which you have a contract are responsible for maintaining (and paying for) a link to that organization during your vacation.

I see wifi on the field as a courtesy. We (and yes my wife is one of those critical to the organization folks) were able to use the phone and a personal hotspot for wifi to do anything we needed.

Life is good, folks!! :-) (Flame suit on and locked!!)

Jim
    EAA 64315
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 08-19-2014 at 08:31 AM.