Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good and Bad and Other of Oshkosh 2014

I've never understood that some folks have such an obsession with electronic gadgets. Granted I'm typing this on a computer but I'm doing it along with eating my dinner. In a bit I will go back to my shop and work on my project plane......no phone, no wifi, nothing except the radio which I often shut off because I like the peace and quiet. I do have a cell phone and I used it once to tell my wife I made it safely to Oshkosh. In my previous life I was a technical college teacher (since retired) and I can't imagine trying to teach a class under the present conditions when students think texting is more important than information you're trying to teach.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

The Wifi is nice for keeping up on what is happening at Oshkosh. They have it, it works sometimes. The only question is why doesn't it work better?

I must be a lucky one because I control my phone and Kindle fire. I don't let them control me. The few times I preferred WIFI, I was always able to find it. Maybe I had to walk over a row in camp Scholler but I found it. The WIFI buildings are a very nice touch and I agree with Jim that Paul and Todd do an awesome job with their systems. I wonder how much it would cost to cover every inch of 2000 acres with WIFI.

You guys are funny. Evolve, people! Evolve!

This was my 32nd consecutive year at OSH. I, too, remember the time before cell phones and tablets. In fact, when they first came out, we actively made sure that we kept them OFF at all times, so as not to interfere with the OSH experience.

Then, something funny started to happen. First, my smartphone replaced my camera. Now, I *had* to keep it on, so I could take pictures.

Then, my smartphone replaced my video camera. Ditto, above.

Then, I started asking my phone for information on the plane I was looking at. Yes, you can ASK your phone about a specific make of plane -- or even about a specific plane. It's amazing, having the compiled history of aviation available at all times.

Then, I started instantly uploading my pictures from OSH, so that friends and family at home could participate.

And so on. This year, we used the Airventure app to show our position on a map of the grounds, and the location(s) of stuff we wanted to see, like forums and exhibitors. It was terrific.

At no point have these devices detracted from the Oshkosh experience. In fact, they have enhanced it. You guys need to embrace this new technology for the wonder it truly is.

Fortunately, with 4G cellular coverage, all of this worked well. Unfortunately, at OSH this used up our expensive data plan at a breathtaking rate -- which is why we are clamoring for better WiFi. I figure OSH added around $60 to my cell bill last month. Multiply that times the thousands of attendees, and you can see that better WiFi would save EAA members a ton of $$$$.

It's a brave, new world!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    You guys are funny. Evolve, people! Evolve!

This was my 32nd consecutive year at OSH. I, too, remember the time before cell phones and tablets. In fact, when they first came out, we actively made sure that we kept them OFF at all times, so as not to interfere with the OSH experience.

Then, something funny started to happen. First, my smartphone replaced my camera. Now, I *had* to keep it on, so I could take pictures.

Then, my smartphone replaced my video camera. Ditto, above.

Then, I started asking my phone for information on the plane I was looking at. Yes, you can ASK your phone about a specific make of plane -- or even about a specific plane. It's amazing, having the compiled history of aviation available at all times.

Then, I started instantly uploading my pictures from OSH, so that friends and family at home could participate.

And so on. This year, we used the Airventure app to show our position on a map of the grounds, and the location(s) of stuff we wanted to see, like forums and exhibitors. It was terrific.

At no point have these devices detracted from the Oshkosh experience. In fact, they have enhanced it. You guys need to embrace this new technology for the wonder it truly is.

Fortunately, with 4G cellular coverage, all of this worked well. Unfortunately, at OSH this used up our expensive data plan at a breathtaking rate -- which is why we are clamoring for better WiFi. I figure OSH added around $60 to my cell bill last month. Multiply that times the thousands of attendees, and you can see that better WiFi would save EAA members a ton of $$$$.

It's a brave, new world!
    You stated this better then I ever could. Its a new world for sure. The young ones do not want to do things like we did.

Banned
    ++1 with Bill and Jim.

I don't give a s**t about wifi or cell reception at Oshkosh. I can easily wait to get back to my hotel to make/answer calls or go online. The connected new world does not define me nor does it motivate me or make me less creative. I do not belong to any old fashioned world or notions...I simply do not find any necessity to be constantly connected like everyone else. In fact, I think it's very cool to be disconnected and unavailable. I got along perfectly well with and in the world prior to cell phones and the internet, LIKE ALL OF US ON THIS PLANET and I refuse to become addicted to or dependent upon inanimate objects.

I have never been a gadget guy or had found it necessary to have the latest and greatest of anything. Aviation has been in my blood and brain since almost birth so if there are things out there that can make flying easier, safer, lessen the workload, make it more comfortable and at the same time allow me to get over the intimidation factor of all things electronic and all things with one inch thick instruction manuals then I'll seriously consider them for aviation.

I have been a steam gauges guy for all of my 41 years of flying. I retired at the end of June(I turned 65 at Oshkosh this year but I look(honest) 15-20 years younger-great inherited genes and the same attitude and spirit of when I was 22). In anticipation of this milestone event, my aircraft partner and I bought a new plane 4 months previous with G1000(that was scary for me) but I'm learning it. Then I got an I-Pad Air for the Foreflight program(bought when they announced last year they now had all Canadian charts and directories) and then I got an I-Phone 5S to back up the I-Pad in case it screws the pooch(I was long overdue anyway for an upgrade of my former cell phone which I had for about 10 years and only used to be connected to my wife and family). At Oshkosh I got a new headset with bluetooth and noise cancelling because it was a very good deal and I thought it was hightime to upgrade my 29 year old DC's. So now I'm as connected as any 14 year old BUT it's only for the purposes of flying.

Next year at Oshkosh I still will not give a s**t if wifi or cell reception is working well or not.

Imagine if we had some of this stuff as kids or young people do today. But I myself do not use a smart phone but I do have a LCD tv. I don't have a tablet but have a Laptop. I will never understand the Tablet or Ipad whatever you call it. But I understand those who use them and like them. Just not for me. But when I found I could use one in my airplane, now I start liking this thing called a tablet. Still do not own one.

I like not being tied to a phone. I kinda laugh when I see someone walking around with a phone sticking out of their ear. Really you have to have the phone that bad. My life is more simple. If you want to talk with me call me at home, if I am not home leave a message. Keeps life simple.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by psvinny View Post
    I wonder how much it would cost to cover every inch of 2000 acres with WIFI.
    Many major airports are now completely covered with free public access wifi...which I always seem to be able to access and does not drop once I am in. I have read that there are 110 municipalities in the U.S. with citywide WiFi that is open to the public for Internet access. I can't remember, is the AirVenture WiFi limited to EAA members? If not, that would be a good interim way to address saturation (if saturation is the problem.) NOTE: I also -- for the first time ever -- exceeded my data plan (not me so much as my three sons -- OK, me too.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    ++1 with Bill and Jim.

I don't give a s**t about wifi or cell reception at Oshkosh. I can easily wait to get back to my hotel to make/answer calls or go online. The connected new world does not define me nor does it motivate me or make me less creative. I do not belong to any old fashioned world or notions...I simply do not find any necessity to be constantly connected like everyone else. In fact, I think it's very cool to be disconnected and unavailable. I got along perfectly well with and in the world prior to cell phones and the internet, LIKE ALL OF US ON THIS PLANET and I refuse to become addicted to or dependent upon inanimate objects.

I have never been a gadget guy or had found it necessary to have the latest and greatest of anything. Aviation has been in my blood and brain since almost birth so if there are things out there that can make flying easier, safer, lessen the workload, make it more comfortable and at the same time allow me to get over the intimidation factor of all things electronic and all things with one inch thick instruction manuals then I'll seriously consider them for aviation.

I have been a steam gauges guy for all of my 41 years of flying. I retired at the end of June(I turned 65 at Oshkosh this year but I look(honest) 15-20 years younger-great inherited genes and the same attitude and spirit of when I was 22). In anticipation of this milestone event, my aircraft partner and I bought a new plane 4 months previous with G1000(that was scary for me) but I'm learning it. Then I got an I-Pad Air for the Foreflight program(bought when they announced last year they now had all Canadian charts and directories) and then I got an I-Phone 5S to back up the I-Pad in case it screws the pooch(I was long overdue anyway for an upgrade of my former cell phone which I had for about 10 years and only used to be connected to my wife and family). At Oshkosh I got a new headset with bluetooth and noise cancelling because it was a very good deal and I thought it was hightime to upgrade my 29 year old DC's. So now I'm as connected as any 14 year old BUT it's only for the purposes of flying.

Next year at Oshkosh I still will not give a s**t if wifi or cell reception is working well or not.
    But keep doing the same old and you will get the same results. You want to draw in the younger crowed, you better think like one. Or you and I will be the only ones standing looking at a field of airplanes. Sure we will have all our gray haired friends with us, but no future in that.

How does it go...........Its the fool who keeps doing the same thing but wants or expects different results.

Tony

Some of us don't go back to a hotel each night.