Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Good and Bad and Other of Oshkosh 2014

OK, my opinion is changed, the tram is a giant faraday cage and is safer than standing wet in the rain.

Unfortunately, it's not a faraday cage. There's not enough metal unlike the car where you're fully enclosed and isolated. Neither the older trams nor the newer ones have metal roofs. At least the newer ones you're sitting on fiberglass (though you're feet are still on the metal floor).

It is still better than standing on wet earth unprotected.

That's arguable. Your best move when outdoors is to curl up as tight as possible on the soles of your feat. The better solution is to get indoors somewhere.
    Sitting on a large metal target is the LAST place I want to be.

Lightning strikes airliners frequently. The passengers are not harmed because the current goes around and out the bottom.

Possible solutions to some of the issues raised:

* Golf Carts--draw narrow lanes clearly labeled for Golf Carts and enforce that they remain in the lanes. If walkers elect to walk in the lanes then they shouldn't complain. Makes for a safer show for all.

* T-Birds--Military demo teams are simply not the right mix for the normal Airventure attendee demographic. Too much disruption and inconvenience. Additional revenue and younger draw are understood. Suggest the Airventure grounds be used for a normal general public airshow at some time OTHER than Airventure. 4th of July would be optimal.

* Wifi--you can't say you want younger attendees as justification for military demo teams and then do a half assed attempt at wifi..Modern kids won't go anywhere they can't stay connected to their virtual world. Get some professional help and get it fixed

Good luck next year!

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    * Golf Carts--draw narrow lanes clearly labeled for Golf Carts and enforce that they remain in the lanes. If walkers elect to walk in the lanes then they shouldn't complain. Makes for a safer show for all.
    They had this on Whitman road. Problem is that nobody, neither the pedestrians or the carts bothered to pay much attention.
    * T-Birds--Military demo teams are simply not the right mix for the normal Airventure attendee demographic. Too much disruption and inconvenience. Additional revenue and younger draw are understood. Suggest the Airventure grounds be used for a normal general public airshow at some time OTHER than Airventure. 4th of July would be optimal.
    Better than shockwave and the masters of stupidity acts in my opinion. Actually, the younger crowd SHOULD BE the right demographic. If they come out to watch the T-Birds and hang out looking at homebuilts or vintage aircraft or doing building activities or whatever on the way, they might get the impression that aviation is a possibility as either an avocation or a vocation. Having had the responsibility for dealing with much of the inconvenience, I'll take it if it gets more younger kids.
    * Wifi--you can't say you want younger attendees as justification for military demo teams and then do a half assed attempt at wifi..Modern kids won't go anywhere they can't stay connected to their virtual world. Get some professional help and get it fixed
    Agreed. Also a more aggressive social media presence would help. I kind of laughed about this, but the Smithsonian kicked ass with theirs on the family days.

Good points---better to suggest fixes than just gripe

I don't remember the golf cart lanes on Wittman. I absolutely believe you when you say they were there. Given that no one pointed this out before, I think that I may not be the only one that didn't know. So if it isn't widely known and the rule isn't enforced, then it is just a waste of paint. As far as walking in the lanes at your own risk… I agree with the sentiment. Sort of like bike lanes on the sidewalk in Brussels. If you are hit by a bike doing 40 kph, you will be the one cited…after you get out of the hospital. On the other hand, at OSH, people are looking and gawking all over the place, especially skyward. It is kind of the point of going. I saw more than a few people walk into things. (Why is my camera never ready at times like that? Probably because I am sometimes the one running into the signs, posts, and people.) In short, they can't even stay on the road, much less a certain part of the road. Trying to keep them from being run over by (or just walking into) the trams is hard enough.

And that doesn't agrees the Chrysler driving through the crowd on Boeing Plaza Friday and Saturday. No need for lines if even the most basic safety rules aren't enforced.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

They're probably long faded, but there was a yellow line striped about a few feet down each side. of the road. I can't remember if that was the "cart lane" or the "vehicle free lane" but as I said, it was pretty roundly ignored.