Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good and Bad and Other of Oshkosh 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The Wifi is nice for keeping up on what is happening at Oshkosh. They have it, it works sometimes. The only question is why doesn't it work better?
    Could be bandwidth congestion due to changing expectations, Bill.... see JJHoneck's post. I suspect some folks were trying these things over wifi. It all takes $bandwidth$.

Jim
    EAA64315

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    But keep doing the same old and you will get the same results. You want to draw in the younger crowed, you better think like one. Or you and I will be the only ones standing looking at a field of airplanes. Sure we will have all our gray haired friends with us, but no future in that.

How does it go...........Its the fool who keeps doing the same thing but wants or expects different results.

Tony
    Unfortunately since the younger crowd was born into the current technology, they believe that they cannot function without it. Same is true of any technology with every generation. With this comes a self perceived level of importance on the technology and a lack of motivation to investigate previous technology. Industrial technology sometimes follows the same trends, sometimes in circles. I was standing next to a fellow that was getting sold a nice new shiny Tig welder, when he ran out from under the tent to watch a P-51 do a few passes. He came back in and made some remark about how that was the neatest prop driven airplane in his mind and about it "really scoots", all while handing over his credit card to get the one with all the buttons and lights on it. I stopped myself from asking him why, if he immortalized that aircraft to much, did he not use the technology it was built with on his own project, as obviously it had proven itself? I knew what the answer would be......"because this is what we use now", and it would be pointless. Imagine a kid in 5 years, they would never believe you could survive with a compass and paper, or analog gauges. Somehow we need to be able to embrace new technology, without the belief that we need to change. People say "well you need to keep up!" , my response usually is "Sorry, I like to check the direction im going before being concerned about my position in the pack".

Some of us don't go back to a hotel each night.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm on the field for 7+ days. The only time we leave is to ride our bikes to eat at Friar Tucks, Charcoal Pit, or La Sure's. Not only do I want WiFi for social media, I *need* cell service to be available to stay in touch with my business, 1300 miles away.

EAA nailed cell service this year -- it was great. WiFi...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Unfortunately since the younger crowd was born into the current technology, they believe that they cannot function without it. Same is true of any technology with every generation. With this comes a self perceived level of importance on the technology and a lack of motivation to investigate previous technology. Industrial technology sometimes follows the same trends, sometimes in circles. I was standing next to a fellow that was getting sold a nice new shiny Tig welder, when he ran out from under the tent to watch a P-51 do a few passes. He came back in and made some remark about how that was the neatest prop driven airplane in his mind and about it "really scoots", all while handing over his credit card to get the one with all the buttons and lights on it. I stopped myself from asking him why, if he immortalized that aircraft to much, did he not use the technology it was built with on his own project, as obviously it had proven itself? I knew what the answer would be......"because this is what we use now", and it would be pointless. Imagine a kid in 5 years, they would never believe you could survive with a compass and paper, or analog gauges. Somehow we need to be able to embrace new technology, without the belief that we need to change. People say "well you need to keep up!" , my response usually is "Sorry, I like to check the direction im going before being concerned about my position in the pack".
    You are preaching to the choir.

I said it before and will again, I don't even own a smart phone or tablet. But if the masses want this service to go to an event and that event does not supply said service, don't be surprised when your attendance numbers are down.

If you think this is bad now, just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Could be bandwidth congestion due to changing expectations, Bill.... see JJHoneck's post. I suspect some folks were trying these things over wifi. It all takes $bandwidth$.

Jim
    EAA64315
    But I didn't see anyone else nearby trying to use wifi. (Ultralight runway)
    I walked all over trying to find the antenna, no luck.

But I didn't see anyone else nearby trying to use wifi. (Ultralight runway)
    I walked all over trying to find the antenna, no luck.
    It wouldn't necessarily have to be someone nearby, Bill. My conjecture (educated guess) is that there are several wifi hot spots that end up at a wired router that provides the actual internet access. The congestion would be cumulative at the router. Again, this is only an educated guess.

I know the webcam guys struggle for bandwidth.

Jim
    EAA 64315

I saw a phone box post from the underground phone line. (Just north of ultralight runway)
    Is the wifi installed in the phone box? I know the range is only about 100 feet or something.
    But I don't a see a bandwidth problem once it goes direct from the phone wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    I have to agree with Bill, even tho he's a short-timer (only since '84?) :-)

I just don't see the big deal about wifi.

<snip>

Jim
    EAA 64315 (1/1/71)
    In my case, I am occasionally a critical cog in the big organization that writes my paycheck. If/when the poop hits the fan, I need decent connectivity. I may only need it for 10 minutes at a time, but I do need it. I bet there are thousands at Osh who have the same need.

This year, I was at the show by early Saturday afternoon. Even with the limited number of people on the field at that time, EAA wifi was a no-go. Just pitiful. Either get it right or forget it. Instead, it is like Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football. Every year, I'm promised a different result, but every year the wifi is a bust.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I said it before and will again, I don't even own a smart phone or tablet. But if the masses want this service to go to an event and that event does not supply said service, don't be surprised when your attendance numbers are down.

If you think this is bad now, just wait.
    Sorry Tony, I don't believe for one moment that the masses come or don't come to Oshkosh based on the quality of the wifi service. I believe they come because, like me, they want to see what GA has to offer and see and talk about the planes.

As far as attracting new blood, the overwhelming grounds will take care of that. And when the kids discover that all those devices they carry around and are addicted to, can actually be functionally used and adapted to aviation, they'll be even more intrigued and possibly hooked.

To say, "if you think this is bad now, just wait", is fear mongering with no basis in fact. If you want something to be really worried about, be worried about whether we'll have sufficient supplies of avgas in the future.

Some of us arrive at Oshkosh well in advance of the show and start camping out and setting up and parking the incoming arrivals and doing other things that the show can't function without. It's one thing to say that there's no wifi available. It's another to LIE about it and say it is when you KNOW it doesn't work and you have no plans to EVER fix it.