Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA Says Hangars No Place For Homebuilders

But I am at a public airport that does receive federal funds for runway improvements.

So the city leases the land to the airport authority, the airport leases land to hangar condo association, and we buy and sell condo units. In this environment I own my space. State law presumes that I am entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of the space that I own.

The world is more complicated than the one size fits all FAA view.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Ah, that's the rub - the condo association doesn't own the land, the airport does. So the hangar is on land that belongs to the airport with access paid for by federal dollars.

The crux of the matter is that the FAA isn't going to send a team of investigators to look into your hangar, so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they did a survey of the airfield, they'd look at public hangars.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    But I am at a public airport that does receive federal funds for runway improvements.

So the city leases the land to the airport authority, the airport leases land to hangar condo association, and we buy and sell condo units. In this environment I own my space. State law presumes that I am entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of the space that I own.

The world is more complicated than the one size fits all FAA view.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Wes,
    What is the written agreement between the airport authority and the condo association as far as building useage?

We have a land lease. The land lease, in its second 25 year renewal, says that the land is leased for the purpose of erecting and aircraft hangar. I do not have the text in front of me. I do not recall that the lease says anything about restrictions on what can be in the building. And of course, since the lease is to the condo association, you can assert that if any unit of the building contains an airplane, then the building is being used for aeronautical purposes.

My airport is long overdue for a revision to the Master Plan. Since there is no federal money in the hangars or the ramps around them, and the hangars are back from the general flow of traffic from the runway to the FBO's and towers, I plan to lobby for the ALP change suggested in a previous post. If the update of the ALP can show the hangar blocks as "non-aeronautical", then a lot of distress and controversy with airport management can be avoided.

Thanks,

Wes

In response to post #12 ... The airport does not own the land, the city does. The condo sublets. And in my state, the tax law is such that the condo association pays the real estate taxes on the sub leased land.

Part of the effects of this structure is that the condo owners can go to the city council if airport management gets too many residents upset. So there is a local check and balance that comes from being taxpayers.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Good grief, the land ownership and use of your situation is so convoluted that if I were an FAA guy I'd run screaming from the airfield.

"Hello, Mr. FAA guy, glad to have you come out."
    "Thanks. I'm here to talk about hangar use and your airport plan."
    "Yep, that's what your office said. We've provided you with a copy and a notepad to go along with the sixty-eight slide PowerPoint presentation covering the legal and practical land ownership and use in and around the field using broad strokes that we will now begin - if you don't need a moment to go to the bathroom and weep at the prospect first."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.