Thread: Amatures Built LSA, bought used, repairman cert.

Amatures Built LSA, bought used, repairman cert.

I recently bought a experimental home built LSA. That has been flown, the builder has passed away, but is a 16 hour repairman certificate . Class apply for my conditional inspection, or can I try and say I was the builder for it. Or am I to always have a IA do the annually inspection, or is no inspection certification required? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greeneyes2141 View Post
    I recently bought a experimental home built LSA. That has been flown, the builder has passed away, but is a 16 hour repairman certificate . Class apply for my conditional inspection, or can I try and say I was the builder for it. Or am I to always have a IA do the annually inspection, or is no inspection certification required? Thanks
    Depends on *exactly* what the aircraft certification says.

If it says, "Operating Light Sport aircraft" or similar wording, you can take the 16-hour course to do you own condition inspections

If it says "Operating Amateur-Built aircraft," you need an A&P....but he or she doesn't have to hold an IA.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Depends on *exactly* what the aircraft certification says.

If it says, "Operating Light Sport aircraft" or similar wording, you can take the 16-hour course to do you own condition inspections

If it says "Operating Amateur-Built aircraft," you need an A&P....but he or she doesn't have to hold an IA.

Ron Wanttaja
    It says, Operating Amateur built Aircraft. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Greeneyes2141 View Post
    ... or can I try and say I was the builder for it.
    I strongly recommend you never make a false or fraudulent statement when completing any airman application form.

If this airplane has an air worthy certificate, this airplane will already have someone's name on the paper work that says who can do the condition inspection. If your name is not on that piece of paper you will need to be either, an A&P or find an A&P to do this Condition inspection.

Like others have said. Do not lie to the FAA when completing any paper work. The FAA has all the info on an airplane that has been registered. Trying to bull Sh#t them will do nothing but p#ss them off.

Tony

An IA is not needed to do a Condition inspection for an Experimental airplane. You need an A&P any A&P. In the history of aviation not one A&P has been sued over a Condition inspection on an Experimental. For when an A&P signs your log book he is not stating the airplane is air worthy. What he is saying is the airplane is in the same condition it was in when the DAR came to give it its air worthy certificate for the first time.
    A condition inspection is not an airworthy inspection. Its a inspection on condition, not airworthy. Nothing about an Experimental is airworthy.

I feel like this has to be said anytime someone is speaking about an Annual on an Experimental. There is no such thing as an annual inspection on an experimental. When someone says they need an IA for this inspection they believe this is an annual inspection. It is not.

Tony

P.S. The real shocker..no one caught this. Is it because everyone believes an IA is needed? Ron did catch this...good one Ron..
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-05-2014 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    An IA is not needed to do a Condition inspection for an Experimental airplane. You need an A&P any A&P. In the history of aviation not one A&P has been sued over a Condition inspection on an Experimental. For when an A&P signs your log book he is not stating the airplane is air worthy. What he is saying is the airplane is in the same condition it was in when the DAR came to give it its air worthy certificate for the first time.
    The last sentence needs some clarification. My Fly Baby is over 30 years old; the A&P performing its condition inspection has no reference to the configuration of the aircraft back then. That's where an IA comes in on a production-type airplane: He or she compares the aircraft to its formal Type Certificate (TC). If the TC says the plane should have a Delco alternator and it has a Nippon-Denso, either the plane should have been issued a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the change or the IA should refuse to sign off on the annual until the proper model is installed.

In contrast, there are no Type Certificates for Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft...that's why you don't need an IA, since they'd have nothing to compare the aircraft's configuration to. The A&P doesn't compare its condition to the originally-certified state...after all, any machine is going to show wear etc. over a 30-year period.

The Operating Limitations issued to each homebuilt identifies the purpose of the annual condition inspection, and that is the ONLY thing the inspector has to comply with. Mine says the aircraft must be "...found in a condition for safe operation."

Ron Wanttaja