Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Gray Trailer

We noticed the increased security this year, too -- although much of it was really just theater.

Example: We carried in an oxygen bottle onto the grounds from the N40 in a backpack (the Aerox guys filled it for free). It could easily have been a bomb, for all the cute little gal at the entry gate knew. But she just smiled and waved us through.

I did get a bit freaked out when we visited the museum, though. I wandered off by myself for a bit, and stumbled across a group of Muslim men on their knees, saying prayers.

I must confess to making a beeline out of the area. The museum was packed, and would have been a juicy target for any terrorist.

I know the thunderbirds were under guard by USAF security police armed with m4's. So maybe they had a part in the increased security as well.

I agree, just like the bag checks, all theatre. They checked 1pocket of 5 on my backpack. It was just a time waster as I could have taxied my plane over to homebuilt camping loaded with who knows what...

The facility I was volunteering at had the bomb sniffing dog come through it at least 3 times during the week. Might have been every day as I was out and about on the grounds doing deliveries.

When I was there Tuesday I saw several guys in dark suits with the clear curly cord earpieces in. Really stood out in the crowd. I figured that "someone important" was nearby but didn't stick around to see who.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nelson View Post
    When I was there Tuesday I saw several guys in dark suits with the clear curly cord earpieces in. Really stood out in the crowd. I figured that "someone important" was nearby but didn't stick around to see who.
    Probably the Gov of WI. He's left during the airshow the last 2 years, heard him on twr freq.

A nice young guy checked our backpack most mornings coming in from the N40 but one morning he had a young lady with him, maybe college aged. While he was checking my backpack she asked me if I was carrying a pocketknife. She must have seen the clip on my pants pocket. I said that I was and unclipped it from my pocket, blade closed, in case she wanted to inspect it.
    Her words to me were "we don't really like you to have knives on the grounds." I'm usually not one for confrontation but her use of the word LIKE pissed me off. I replied that I didn't LIKE not having my knife on me and that the blade was less than 3 inches. I checked the rules beforehand knowing I was legal. I think she got the drift from my tone that I wasn't going to back down and went to get a supervisor. The supervisor knew I was correct and that my blade was legal. We were allowed in and no one ever asked me about my pocket knife again.
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980

Kind of silly since several exhibitors were selling knives. I am not going to say anything else in case someone reading this decides to use the information to "close the gaps."