Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspection Requirements when "Out of Annual"

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If you fly a single seat and a Non-electric airplane, transponder or radio not required.
    Gets you out of SOME but not all of the airspace-requiring transponders.

What it does for me, keeps me away from any airspace that requires talking with ATC. I could say it keeps me VFR but the SP rule's do that.

But we are drifting.

When it comes to the topic at hand. It's so simple. Depends if you are talking EAB, LSA, SLSA, GA, if for hire or for recreation. Each one hold's different standards or rules on how, when and why for the Inspection's that must be done yearly.

It matters not if this inspection is one day out or 10 years out, the inspection will still be the same. Now what you find that needs repaired will be different say on an airplane that is one day out compared to an airplane 10 years out. I believe we all know this. No different if its a car or what ever. The longer it sits the more it takes to get it up and running again.

Don't use it and you will loose it. Not a myth.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-06-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Yep, people often confuse the annual INSPECTION with maintenance that needs to be done to satisfy the discrepancies found during that annual.

In fact, an IA can conduct the inspection but in some cases the owner-pilot can be the one who signs off the return to service.

I have more then once grounded my airplane in the middle of the flying season for things that come up during the year after the condition inspection. I do the condition inspection for my own piece of mind. I want every part looked at that I can.

I told my IA one day, yea I know I need no IA but this A&P friend is an IA, look over this airplane with a fine tooth comb and ground her over any little thing. He said, no you do not want me doing this for your airplane will never fly again.

Its a balancing act when it comes time for the Condition Inspection. Seeing as this is the EAA I call all these inspection Condition inspections. If this was a GA forum I would call them Annuals.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If you fly a single seat and a Non-electric airplane, transponder or radio not required.
    If you wish to fly within the Class B or C airspace, then you are required to have the transponder whether or not you have electrical, single seater or no.

Lack of electrical system excuses you from needing to have a transponder within the 30-mile Class B "Veil", as long as you stay out of the actual Class B airspace (inverted wedding cake). Again, doesn't matter how many seats the plane has.

A single seater *is* excused from the ELT requirement.

Ron Wanttaja

Since the original question seems to have been answered, let's get back to drifting!

Ron, I won't be putting in an ELT on the Nieuport Bebe for a host of reasons, but I'm planning on putting in a PLB. I'm thinking about maybe in a pouch low on one of the shoulder straps.

Your thoughts on placement?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    If you wish to fly within the Class B or C airspace, then you are required to have the transponder whether or not you have electrical, single seater or no.

Lack of electrical system excuses you from needing to have a transponder within the 30-mile Class B "Veil", as long as you stay out of the actual Class B airspace (inverted wedding cake). Again, doesn't matter how many seats the plane has.

A single seater *is* excused from the ELT requirement.

Ron Wanttaja
    Well, you can fly within B or C if you have an aircraft that is not equipped if you make the request at least one hour prior to the flight. See 91.215(d)(3).
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meder View Post
    Well, you can fly within B or C if you have an aircraft that is not equipped if you make the request at least one hour prior to the flight. See 91.215(d)(3).
    Doesn't need to be even an hour before flight. I've departed a few times out of IAD with little more than calling CD and telling them what I was doing. (and one of these times was even post-9/11). One other time was when the primary radar was also out (so I was invisible). I've also managed to arrive at IAD with just a receiver.

However, I'd not rely on that. Just because you asked an hour in advance doesn't mean they will approve it and in this day and age, they're more likely than not to turn you down.

Never had a problem with St. Louis or Omaha (or Knoxville, that one time the transponder blew its brains out), so FWIW.

The hour, BTW, is what the reg states - being who I am, I have to quote it. If ATC wants to be more lenient than that, that's up to the facility.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.