Thread: Hatz

Hatz

Can anyone tell me why the Vne on the CB-1 is 10 mph slower than the Classic? It appears that the airplanes share the same wings and longeron mods to give a bit rounder fuselage on the Classic. Jut purchased a ground looped CB-1 but it has the spring compressors on the gear. Also looking for a left landing gear. If at all feasible, I'd like t convert it to a Classic.

Sarpy Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sarpysam View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the Vne on the CB-1 is 10 mph slower than the Classic? It appears that the airplanes share the same wings and longeron mods to give a bit rounder fuselage on the Classic. Jut purchased a ground looped CB-1 but it has the spring compressors on the gear. Also looking for a left landing gear. If at all feasible, I'd like t convert it to a Classic.

Sarpy Sam
    Realize that neither has had a full engineering work-up, so VNE is what the plans seller felt comfortable with, not anything more or less.

One of the big differences between the two is that the Classic uses 1/16th mahogany ply as a D-wrap on the leading edges of the wing, which adds a lot of rigidity and torsional stiffness to the wings. The CB-1 uses a tacked on aluminum leading edge, which helps maintain the airfoil shape, but doesn't add much, if any, strength.

Beyond that, I'd have to dig out the plans sets.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-04-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Thank you Kyle. I had already decided to go with the wood leading edge and for good reason it appears.

Lee Howard