Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 "Food" Thread

The 2014 "Food" Thread

The following rant should be considered in the context that I love Airventure and have, maybe, 30+ of this event under my belt. Flew in this year like the last 8 or 10 times. And.....I am definitely NOT a "foodie", but roadkill on the grill would have tasted better than what I got for 5 nights and days.

Okay, I arrived on Saturday before, and left Thursday morning. By Tuesday I was suffering from Stage IV Oshkosh Scurvy.

I am going exclude the Tall Pines Café as you can't go wrong there. Maybe it is because it is staffed and operated by volunteers?? Also the place they used to call "Aces", that is not too bad.

As for the rest..."the professionals".....gag me with a spoon. It is obvious that a contract was given to ONE company who put together this limited menu with the notion we are trapped and we will eat it and LIKE IT! The attempt at "sit down" dining near the Vintage Red Barn is just another place to eat the basic swill they served everywhere else. Sea Plane base, same deal.

I am already planning on next year. I will bring food like years before. Also I will be tankering Coke. (There is a reason it is NOT called "Crown and Pepsi").....

Please, EAA, this was awful. The only "downer" of a great Airventure...(other than the airshow performers who play that HIDEOUS Katy Perry song during their routines).

See you all next year. Flame suit on.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Well, we don't camp on the field, so we're limited to one meal on the grounds each day. With our large small group, we typically head out to the nicer restaurants each evening as choreographed by our "social director."

That said, I basically stick to the A&W areas; the burgers/brats/dogs are "OK". I've had MUCH worse, and I've had some much better.

Try volunteering during lunch hour. The slice of bologna, slice of cheese on sandwich bread will have you giving a new appreciation to the food that *is* there. NOTE: I volunteer just about every year, and I really, sincerely, appreciate the sandwiches, snacks, and drinks provided by EAA. Saves me about $10/day lunch budget, and at least they're fresh. And, if so desired, you can have an extra sandwich or two.

But I'm low-maintenance when it comes to food.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I really enjoyed The Machine Shed fair down in Vintage. Especially the BBQ pulled pork sandwich. I won't say how many I had during the week for fear my wife would read this post!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    I really enjoyed The Machine Shed fair down in Vintage. Especially the BBQ pulled pork sandwich. I won't say how many I had during the week for fear my wife would read this post!
    For just a small donation, I'm sure many who have read this can be convinced not to pass this information on to your wife.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Well, we don't camp on the field, so we're limited to one meal on the grounds each day. With our large small group, we typically head out to the nicer restaurants each evening as choreographed by our "social director."

That said, I basically stick to the A&W areas; the burgers/brats/dogs are "OK". I've had MUCH worse, and I've had some much better.

Try volunteering during lunch hour. The slice of bologna, slice of cheese on sandwich bread will have you giving a new appreciation to the food that *is* there. NOTE: I volunteer just about every year, and I really, sincerely, appreciate the sandwiches, snacks, and drinks provided by EAA. Saves me about $10/day lunch budget, and at least they're fresh. And, if so desired, you can have an extra sandwich or two.

But I'm low-maintenance when it comes to food.
    Carl, yes, I have eaten quite few of those balogna sandwiches in the past. Next year will be a full length event for me and I hope to enjoy more of those.

I recall one of the nights after a rain. We walked from Vintage to the Subway west of the Vintage Red Barn...closed!!! Could not catch a break. We were dying for something "green" and I am not talking about bad ham.

I also enjoyed the ice cream at AW. Would have liked to have gone to Wendts on the Lake, and would have paid for a ride down there.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

No scurvy here. I ate two very tasty corn on the cobs yesterday at the Reds Pizza stand outside the north end of hangar C (where I've been working all week). Delicious they were too, & healthy

You don't come to EAA for the food. However, EAA did try to improve it 2 years ago, and the consensus seems to be that is it better than before, at least it is more varied. I really don't like Pepsi, it taste like some cough syrup, and trying to find a Dr. Pepper in Wisconsin is hard, not even many Cokes. In one way that is good, since I need to give up soft drinks and Pepsi is so bad I only drank part of one a few times. Man, I'd love to see some Texas Bar B Q here or some good sea food. But there are some places in town to get a decent dinner. And the two real rest rooms in the big hangars are a hit especially with the ladies. I'd rather have so so food and good weather like the last two years than the other way around.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-03-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Bill, I, too, would love some BBQ Texas style. Also, being prohibited from buying Coke is probably good for me, too. Janet,when we went for corn they were out so we asked "what kind of pizza do you have?" The lady at Red's Pizza said "we don't sell pizza here".

Don't take my words as criticism of EAA's efforts to produce a top quality event designed to please everyone even crusty curmudgeons like me. I will say that my planning for next year is well underway.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Regarding the soft drinks I opted for the 'lemonaid type' this year rather than Pepsi. I fare OK on the food although I'm not a big eater.....it's just to survive for me. I do wish the vendors would offer the smaller 8 or 12 ounce bottles rather than the big 20 oz. Just too much and generally gets thrown away. Which brings up another point: even though EAA and the vendors make an effort for folks to recycle (different containers) I'm guessing lots of recyclables wind up in the landfill.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Larry

I would have shared my corn with you if I'd known