Thread: Using XP for presentation laptops

Using XP for presentation laptops

Hal, feel free to shut this down and PM or email me if you think it does not belong here.

I noticed that most or all of the EAA provided laptops for presentations were (or appeared to be) running XP as the OS. I understand that this can be a cost item, but with all those folks using USB flash drives, that seems to me to be poor IT security. It's well known that Microsoft stopped updating XP in April and that it's a bad idea to use it on the internet at all, but this is another situation where the risks are significant.

Just to end on a positive note, I thought that overall the new iPhone app was a wonderful addition to my AV experience this year. THANKS!

edit 8/3/2014: I noticed on Saturday that the PC being used was rented and I think I saw that same logo on many other EAA supplied PC's in other forums. I'm not sure if this changes the significance of the issue or not but I sure hope EAA got a good price on those rentals, given that they were using an unsupported and largely "bad" OS. It did clearly say XP when it was either starting or shutting down.
    Last edited by Howard Handelman; 08-03-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: additional information