Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft down

Saw the smoke from Homebuilt Camping, knew it wouldn't be anything good. Condolences to those who lost a friend or family member.

Once the field was re-opened, I sat in the taxi line for 27 for about 2:20 waiting to depart. 36L & R were both closed. The Tri-motors were coming and going routinely, warbirds were arriving from time to time, and the FAA was releasing aircraft very slowly. It was awful. I think they opened 36L about the time I launched.

I was listening to the liveatc.net stream when the accident happened. Traffic was pretty busy at the time with multiple simultaneous arrivals on 36R, including the Breezy who was about to touch down. Things seemed to be flowing but its hard to tell from the recording where something may have gone wrong.

I almost went for a ride on it today. Had done it in the past and thought about going. I was right there when there were getting ready to start giving rides. I didn't want to take the time to wait for my turn because there were several people already there waiting. It was very hard to go on about the day afterwards. I've been watching him fly there every year basically. A real fixture to Oshkosh. Prayers for his family and for his passenger.

I saw the smoke and flames from café by vintage parking. I thought maybe a truck or something had caught fire at the armory and didn't realize it was an accident as I didn't hear anything on the runway speakers. Winds were light as I remember so I'm unsure what caused it.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I was up at 79C taking a shower and was listening on the live atc feeds and decided to leave the plane there and got someone to drive us back to Oshkosh.