Thread: Need open cockpit helmet/headsets

Need open cockpit helmet/headsets

Hi,

We recently purchased a weight shift trike. I am looking for recommendations for helmet/headset combos, an intercom system, portable radio, etc. all help is appreciated!!

Bill

I use Icom equipment. I purchased mine here. Helmet Radio and PTT button.

http://www.cps-parts.com/

Tony

My helmet....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

David Clark helmet

I use David Clark helmets and headsets in open cockpit ultralights. They are very light weight, cool in hot weather, and comfortable. They can be easily adjusted to fit different head sizes. They're not a SNELL or DOT approved, but I think the protection they provide is good enough for UL flying, where speeds are low and your main concern is hitting your head on the structure around you and not so much hitting the pavement at 70 mph like on a motorcycle. The downside is that they are pricey, but I've managed to find used ones to make it more affordable. You can buy the new internal suspension parts. The DC microphones work very well in open cockpit environment so long as you keep them right next to your lips. I fly without a windshield, so there could be a lot of wind noise but people tell me that my transmissions are so clear that they can't tell I'm in an open cockpit. Beware that the H-20 series DC headsets will not fit in this helmet.

I've also been very happy with my Sporty's SP-200 radio. It's an older one that runs on AA batteries, which have a great shelf life. I carry an extra battery pack and can change out the battery if the radio dies in flight. I don't have an intercom so I can't comment on that.
    Last edited by wakataka; 08-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Lynx Helmets and Headsets Micro System is the best. Wind noise is the problem and these are intended to filter out the appropriate noise. Also, the way they plug into eachother and you radio is convient. Purchase with or without helmits is the question. Answer depends on how fast your trike is and your preference.