Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week Wonder

One Week Wonder

The folks working on the One Week Wonder are making incredible progress. Already the fuselage is coming together in the middle of the room, while the wings are doing likewise off on a side table. Very very interesting to watch this. When this is all over, perhaps somebody can compile the video stream into one consecutive video, speed it up, and present a couple or three minute video of a weeks work presented in a few minutes. Would be fun to watch.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 07-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.

My family was there yesterday pulling rivets for the horizontal stabilizer. The volunteer staff remarked that, even by 10 am yesterday, that they were well ahead of planned construction rate. We will go back again this afternoon, and see how we can't help move things along even more!

Lots of people want to contribute, which is great. The downside is that my sons would like to spend hours at it, but can't to allow others to contribute, too! This mass contribution is wonderful and what EAA is about.

Thanks for responding. It's really interesting to hear directly from someone who has actually participated in the project. Hope to hear more from you again as well as others who are pulling a few rivets.

Banned
    Pulled my rivet on the wing today, first time ever(and on my birthday yet so I'll always remember).

Now, if I had 87 experts helping me on a daily basis, I might consider building....nah!

The picture of me doing it(and later emailed to me) along with signing my name on the skin next to my rivet was a great added surprise and bonus. Very classy EAA, very classy!!

Stuck my head in the tent on the way out tonight. They got the engine and firewall hung on the plane. Most of the main structures are taking form pretty quickly. Kind of like an Amish barn! I have no doubt it'll be done by Sunday night. Going to have to check in every night on my way to car.

I pulled my rivet on Wed. Audrey was brought over to participate. My signature is on the same logbook page as hers!

I have a question on this project... What is to happen to this aircraft after it is built? Who is the builder? And how would FAA go about licensing it? Just curious as to what Zeneith plans to do with it when it is done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
    I have a question on this project... What is to happen to this aircraft after it is built? Who is the builder? And how would FAA go about licensing it? Just curious as to what Zeneith plans to do with it when it is done!!!
    If I recall correctly, the Zenith "One week wonder" is/will belong to EAA and used as such. I think I recall reading it will be used for EAA's employees, but I could be wrong. Zenith definetely got a lot of publicity this past week during the build.

I recall them saying that after paint and decals are applied, it will be used in general EAA efforts and flown around as an ambassador for homebuilding. If used by the employees, all the better, IMO.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    <snip> Zenith definetely got a lot of publicity this past week during the build.
    I was a volunteer in the ambassador role this week (in addition to my other, regular volunteer position). That meant that I was one of the guys out front helping folks pull their first rivet on the practice panel, and giving them an education about why use clecos, etc., as well as walking around just talking to folks about "Yes, you too can build a plane", handing out a pretty good EAA FAQ/guide about what's involved.

Time after time after time, folks would say that Zenith scored a PR homerun by donating the kit, and how appreciative they (public) were that they (Zenith) did.

Time after time I also met folks who said they always wanted to build an airplane, but doubted their abilities, or their dedication, or their resources. Hopefully this will move some folks off the fence. They were especially surprised that not all of the builders behind the wall were not professional or even had any degree of build experience.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton