Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First year camping have dogs and questions

First year camping have dogs and questions

We have been camping before in fact we did 2 trips to Bigfoot by lake Geneva allready to get a feel for what were doing and I feel comfortable I can even start a fire withought matches!

So we will be tent camping with 2 dogs a 1.5 year old monster (boxer/beagle/bulldog/tree walker coon) who loves camping (jen) and a 4-5 month old puggle (Carson) --question there is what do people do with there dogs while there on eaa grounds? So far these 2 are on the quiet side tho Jen is very alert as well they are fine sleeping in our tent with us at night but they prefer to be with/around us that I can tell --can't put Jen in the tent and walk off she will try to go thru the door can't leave her outside will try to come inside lol

also plan is to arrive the night of the 30th I personally don't wanna hear generators at night what's the chances that will happen? I know I'll be doggie area

plan is to freeze some drinks make some frozen slush drinks and such if possible that --are there any things that you 100% would not go withought? I know with a breeze the tents perfect and it's suprisingly dry in the rain

this sun and mon I pack tues I work and we'd after moms out we leave so at about 10-11 at latest at night we will get there

oh how would y'all charge phones and that? I have a 4s she has a 5 (iOS) and what are the chances of a car not starting if that's how we charge? I have a semi new battery car were taking is mine a 2010 Kia soul --I'm sure I'll think of more hopefully this is a start? I've allready paid for my camping if that makes any difference(?)

I don't know if this should be a reply or edit so mods please fix if I'm wrong but I grew up camping with a trailer so we had grills nookers (micro) oven all that even TVs and radios! But I do know fires and that to an extent

would you you bring anything to have a fire in? Or?

Also think I should say I've been to eaa 2 times on a single day basis the first time my mom was "we don't need this or that or that or any of that" I packed some of it and an umbrella and she was glad I did was gonna wreak the cameras so she could use the umbrella she told me not to pack in the first place! 2nd time we were even MORE prepared that time went great! I had a TOTAL blast! And I think I'll have atleast that much fun this time!

Atm tom plan is me and her do 2 days and the rest me wandering in and out and that as I please --oh when I renewed the paperwork mentioned a free day where's that come in? Cause looking buying tickets for my days I see no mention or that so no clue on it --but I've got my card looks cool too I think was gonna just get entrance tickets there

does camp scholler have any alchol ban or that? I would imagine drunk ain't good

I have camped a good amount with a dog or 2, not at Airventure though. I'd 1st read any rules at the EAA site, sounds like you may of already.

The biggies with dogs when you are away is comfort(cool), no excessive barking and security. That may take more planning in a tent.

The powered bathrooms have outlets to charge, maybe try the 'off' times. You could befriend a neighbor with a Honda 2000, clean, quiet power. There is the volunteer 'charging hut'. I would also carry a charger in your pack as you move around. I think a plug opportunity will arise if you keep your eye open. Give a little thought to security if you leave it somewhere.

My suggestion is to leave the dogs somewhere else, kennel or whatever.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

The dogs are not going to like the amount of noise, especially jet noise such as the Thunderbirds and Harrier, at EAA. It hurts their ears and scares them. And of course you can't take them inside the convention area. If they bark at night they may wake others up.
    They and the public would be happier if the dogs stayed at home or with friends or a kennel.

My guess is that the pet area is already full. It's pretty far up in the campground.

I actually called up and asked they said there would be plenty of spaces left even with dogs so I did ask

when Jen was young there was a flash bang she was fine with the flash but the bang freaked her out and there's this place in Burlington TONS of trains pass by called Fred's GREAT burgers there fine with the trains --jens also been by Mitchell field with our normal traffic she actually seemed to like watching the planes that I could tell

so as I can tell and gauge they should be ok --I also threw Jen in a university book store grand re-opening event in Madison while she was a puppy I have tested her so many ways and times sence we got her and she has done fabously! So again overall I think aside from the heat and confinement I think she will be just fine --both dogs are fairly similar in a way as I said more quiet and calm and when young puppies both passed a "flip" test that they do with assistance dogs they were both a bit old at the time but it's still a way I gauged and as stated both passed both are really good

when I called he didn't know how many pet tent sites there were but did say there should be plenty by my arrival date

and nd the eaa info is very vague thus the asking

There were a few times while traveling with dogs where I found a local facility for 'day boarding' when leaving them at the campsite wasn't an option. Just an idea to keep in your back pocket.

I kinda like 'Fred's Burgers' too may be there as soon as later today.

Had a bunch of outher questions too lol but a doggie day care is defo a possability for the 2 days we will both be going (looking thurs and sun) and the outher 3 days me up there alone and her with the pups doing whatever she does to entertain herself that isn't her obcession of gravedigging which is what she would be doing had eaa been in Burlington (which I heard it was looking at before going to oshkosh)

um, clear prop!