Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is there a Tower at Oshkosh?

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    15 miles is a long walk to KOSH!
    Especially from 8D1 when you have to wade across the lake.

But I didn't thing we were talking about actually needing to be at Oshkosh, just using the airport for grass field ops for the sake of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Bill,
    I understand your frustration, but there are so many non-radio grass strips right around Oshkosh, I cant see the justification for another. You have to remember that Kosh is pretty laid back the rest of the year. Plus I cant see the county maintaining a grass strip or being able to justify the cost. I think if you actually lived here, you would understand.
    I actually do live there one week of the year. That is why I feel I have as much right to comment as anyone. As it is now, I can fly a non radio airplane into Airventure on Sat or Sunday before it opens. But can't fly in a week before the NOTAM.

You can only fly a non-radio aircraft if you can make it into the UL runway. The FAA strongly discourages NORDO approaches to the regular runways (it used to be they had a published procedure for this, essentially similar to the WARBIRD arrival) but the deprecated that years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You can only fly a non-radio aircraft if you can make it into the UL runway. The FAA strongly discourages NORDO approaches to the regular runways (it used to be they had a published procedure for this, essentially similar to the WARBIRD arrival) but the deprecated that years ago.
    Yeh, you can fly a non - radio aircraft or ultralight vehicle into the ultralight runway on Saturday or sunday before the show starts but not a week before or any other time, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Yeh, you can fly a non - radio aircraft or ultralight vehicle into the ultralight runway on Saturday or sunday before the show starts but not a week before or any other time, as far as I know.
    So you visit a county owned airport for a week a year, and expect them to cater to you for the other 51? I fail to see any reasoning for that. EAA doesn't own Wittman by any stretch of the imagination. If there were that big of a demand for a non controlled area, it would be there already for the locals. Obviously there is not.

If you really want to land at controlled fields, could you install a radio or do you not have an electrical system. I do not recall what you said you were flying.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    So you visit a county owned airport for a week a year, and expect them to cater to you for the other 51? I fail to see any reasoning for that. EAA doesn't own Wittman by any stretch of the imagination. If there were that big of a demand for a non controlled area, it would be there already for the locals. Obviously there is not.
    Aaron, what I expect is that EAA should cater to all aviation and especially Sport Aviation not business aviation. And EAA should be working to see that all local public airports are open to sport aviation where possible. I don't expect Sport Aviation at ORD, but KOSH should be open to non radio sport pilots in some way. I checked the KOSH live cams yesterday, and didn't see any air traffic at all, just two days after Airventure.

I am still trying to find current numbers for KOSH revenue operations.
    I just read an article in my local paper here, it said my local airport has had it's scheduled air service cut from 6 flights down to two per day. There never was a tower here. ( Fairchild International, Port Angeles, WA.)

edit, according to Wikipedia, KOSH doesn't have airline service now since 2003. So I remain confused why the Class D remains.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittman_Regional_Airport
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 08-06-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miemsed View Post
    If you really want to land at controlled fields, could you install a radio or do you not have an electrical system. I do not recall what you said you were flying.
    My airplane has a radio, I have a CPL. This is not about me.
    My comments here are not for me, but for the future Sport Pilots that get a basic Sport Pilot certificate and choose to fly without a radio as was the intent of the Sport Pilot rule.

My airplane has a radio, I have a CPL. This is not about me.
    My comments here are not for me, but for the future Sport Pilots that get a basic Sport Pilot certificate and choose to fly without a radio as was the intent of the Sport Pilot rule.
    Ok sorry I missed that you had a radio. Future sport pilots will know they cannot land a controlled fields. A look at a sectional where I live shows many uncontrolled grass and paved strips for non radio aircraft to land. I have no desire at all to fly without a radio but if I did, I could find plenty of places to land.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Aaron, what I expect is that EAA should cater to all aviation and especially Sport Aviation not business aviation. And EAA should be working to see that all local public airports are open to sport aviation where possible. I don't expect Sport Aviation at ORD, but KOSH should be open to non radio sport pilots in some way. I checked the KOSH live cams yesterday, and didn't see any air traffic at all, just two days after Airventure.

I am still trying to find current numbers for KOSH revenue operations.
    I just read an article in my local paper here, it said my local airport has had it's scheduled air service cut from 6 flights down to two per day. There never was a tower here. ( Fairchild International, Port Angeles, WA.)

edit, according to Wikipedia, KOSH doesn't have airline service now since 2003. So I remain confused why the Class D remains.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittman_Regional_Airport
    Bill,
    EAA is not Wittman Regional Airport. If you have an issue with KOSH, take it up with Winnebago County. Ive got an idea for you Bill, move here, build a hangar, make KOSH your field, then come to the county board meetings, bring up your ideas and proposals including how to absorb the added cost of a grass strip and such. Let the board consider and vote on it. If you are so deeply concerned about this, then im sure you will have no problem devoting yourself to the cause. Im not being sarcastic either....like Henry Ford said "Find a solution, as anybody can complain".