Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why is there a Tower at Oshkosh?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Maybe that should be an indicator that there is not a problem at KOSH?
    I give up because the pilots here apparently can't see that lack of airport access as a problem.
    It is just one straw breaking the the back of private aviation.

I am retired and could hardly care less for my own use. I just volunteer some of my time trying to save sport aviation for the next generation. So if corporate jet owners make the rules, as Byron said.... no problem?

There are many airports where towers are a luxury. Again a political problem as many towns and airport authorities believe that they "must" have a tower in order to have a "real" airport. And to my surprise I find that many airport managers are not actually aviation enthusiasts. In fact, at an airport near me the airport manager does not like airplanes. At another airport near me one of the members of the airport board told me at a public meeting that "airplanes are dangerous" and went on to say that the federal grant agreements required the city to allow airplanes at the airport but that there was a lot of liability concerns about them. Believe me, I could not have made that up. I was floored to hear that statement from an airport management body.

So the topic of ATCT's is a political one not a technical one. And how airports are managed is again a political challenge, not a technical one.

And money is required in order to have an operating airport. Airports are neither charity organizations nor country clubs. So we may court the jet guys $$ so that we can also get to play. Living off of federal handouts in the form of airport improvement grants is not a sustainable business model. The feds funding is going down and they will only pay for stuff like the ugly fences that surround many airports and tell all of our young people "go away". The federal $$ does not pay for most airport features that message the general population "come join us".

So if you want to change the world, start with the airport in your town. And if you do not live in the town where the airport that you use is, then buy some property in that town so that you can stand up at an airport or town meeting and say "I own the hangar at...." and they have to listen to you. Speak up about where the airport $$ are spent and wasted. Invest yourself before you ask other folks to invest their time and $$.

This is not easy stuff. But if you do not stand up and do, nothing happens.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    There are many airports where towers are a luxury. Again a political problem as many towns and airport authorities believe that they "must" have a tower in order to have a "real" airport. And to my surprise I find that many airport managers are not actually aviation enthusiasts. In fact, at an airport near me the airport manager does not like airplanes. At another airport near me one of the members of the airport board told me at a public meeting that "airplanes are dangerous" and went on to say that the federal grant agreements required the city to allow airplanes at the airport but that there was a lot of liability concerns about them. Believe me, I could not have made that up. I was floored to hear that statement from an airport management body.

So the topic of ATCT's is a political one not a technical one. And how airports are managed is again a political challenge, not a technical one.

And money is required in order to have an operating airport. Airports are neither charity organizations nor country clubs. So we may court the jet guys $$ so that we can also get to play. Living off of federal handouts in the form of airport improvement grants is not a sustainable business model. The feds funding is going down and they will only pay for stuff like the ugly fences that surround many airports and tell all of our young people "go away". The federal $$ does not pay for most airport features that message the general population "come join us".

So if you want to change the world, start with the airport in your town. And if you do not live in the town where the airport that you use is, then buy some property in that town so that you can stand up at an airport or town meeting and say "I own the hangar at...." and they have to listen to you. Speak up about where the airport $$ are spent and wasted. Invest yourself before you ask other folks to invest their time and $$.

Best of luck,

Wes
    Love this Wes.

If you can not afford it alone, get your buddies up and go in together. We have a few here in my area doing just this thing. Its a slow process for they are looking for the right spot or airfield, but they are looking.

Here in central IL we have an airport that is going by the way side. Its a County Regional airport built about 30 or so years ago to try and get a company to move into this depressed county. When this happened I paid little attention so can not remember the detail but it seemed they company wanted a break on taxes or water or something like this. The county would not do it so the company did not move in. The airport sat unused. I remember driving by and the weeds where taller then the buildings.

Then a group of pilots got together and approached the county. They took their own money and started this airport back up. They just built new hangars with electric doors and heating. Monthly hangar rent 100 bucks. Today the county has once again taken it from these people and again they want to shut it down. The airport I speak of is Havana Regional Airport.

My point if you want to do something like this stay away from anything county or government ran. You will be dealing with people who do not like nor see the need for these small things that people fly, we call them airplanes, they have other words for them.

The challenge that readers here have is that we are pilots and builders. For most of us politics does not come naturally. That said, I am finally concluding late in life, and you should too, that we will not get what we want without learning something about politics.

County managers are elected in most places. You can create political pressure in the form of asking why they are "screwing up". State reps can ask questions of the county officials. Elected town officials can ask questions of the county officials. The news organizations can ask questions. Do politics and look for a pressure point. Don't say "I want" but rather go to each official with the message "this is bad for you".

Not easy stuff. How bad do you want this?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

The general public or the Joe blows of the world could care less if we have these small airplanes. If its not a jet they see no need and its something that will fall out of the sky and go through their home, apartment ect. Our voice is few compared to the masses.

The airport I speak of has had many different County Board Members dealing with this. They all look at it the same way. Its a big waste of resources and money. It will not change unless you can change every persons view of aviation. That will never happen.

We are to few. I am speaking of small aviation not corporate anything. I would not fight city hall. Loosing battle. Not enough of us. Again speaking of local politics. Just not enough like minded people to change anything.

Best of luck,

Wes
    I do stand up. At the local airport Master Plan meeting I was the only person that appeared with testimony.
    What is EAA doing?

As an AMA member, I can guarantee that all model airplanes are welcome to fly at AMA headquarters. And keeping flying fields open is the top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I do stand up. At the local airport Master Plan meeting I was the only person that appeared with testimony.
    What is EAA doing?

As an AMA member, I can guarantee that all model airplanes are welcome to fly at AMA headquarters. And keeping flying fields open is the top priority.
    In our area all RC airfields have closed within a 30 mile radius. We have one. Its membership today is around 80 because all other fields have closed. A few short years ago they had 20 members. You never see all 80 members at the field. Most 80% live to far to come everyday. They have the regulars and they number about 8. How do I know this, there RC club is located at my airfield and where I live.

Don't put the AMA on a pedestal above the EAA and think they are better, they are no better or worse. Just a group of people trying to have fun doing what they love in the hobby they love. RC Airfield's are disappearing just as fast as small aviation airfields if not faster.

As I type this I hear RC airplanes in the background. I love the sound.

Tony

Byron J. Covey
    .. we will not get what we want without learning something about politics.

Do politics and look for a pressure point. Don't say "I want" but rather go to each official with the message "this is bad for you".

Not easy stuff. How bad do you want this?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Politics: From the Greek, "Poly," for many, "tics" for blood sucking creatures.

Of course you are correct, Wes (been there, done that, muni airport, last century.)

Just be careful no to get contaminated in the process.

BJC