Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is there a Tower at Oshkosh?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Bill,
    EAA is not Wittman Regional Airport. If you have an issue with KOSH, take it up with Winnebago County. Ive got an idea for you Bill, move here, build a hangar, make KOSH your field, then come to the county board meetings, bring up your ideas and proposals including how to absorb the added cost of a grass strip and such. Let the board consider and vote on it. If you are so deeply concerned about this, then im sure you will have no problem devoting yourself to the cause. Im not being sarcastic either....like Henry Ford said "Find a solution, as anybody can complain".
    I have considered moving to KOSH to start a Sport Aviation business. The class D airspace is a problem.
    EAA already has a grass airstrip called Pioneer Airport. The cost of a grass strip can't be excessive.

As I said before, my comments and ideas voiced on this forum are in support of entry level sport aviation world wide.
    I guess CubGuy (sorry forgot exact name) is the only one here that "gets it".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I have considered moving to KOSH to start a Sport Aviation business. The class D airspace is a problem.
    EAA already has a grass airstrip called Pioneer Airport. The cost of a grass strip can't be excessive.

As I said before, my comments and ideas voiced on this forum are in support of entry level sport aviation world wide.
    I guess CubGuy (sorry forgot exact name) is the only one here that "gets it".
    Bill,
    Trust me I get where you are coming from. There are at least 4 private grass strips within a few miles of Oshkosh that have very active "grass roots" sport aviation. Some have radios, some not.

Like Aaron said, there is even a small grass strip just north of town. They run cubs out of there all the time. It's literally just outside the class D. I do agree that the tower hours could be reduced, however I don't see the need for 24 /7, year round, no radio grass strips there

Aaron, what I expect is that EAA should cater to all aviation and especially Sport Aviation not business aviation. And EAA should be working to see that all local public airports are open to sport aviation where possible. I don't expect Sport Aviation at ORD, but KOSH should be open to non radio sport pilots in some way. I checked the KOSH live cams yesterday, and didn't see any air traffic at all, just two days after Airventure.

I am still trying to find current numbers for KOSH revenue operations.
    I just read an article in my local paper here, it said my local airport has had it's scheduled air service cut from 6 flights down to two per day. There never was a tower here. ( Fairchild International, Port Angeles, WA.)

edit, according to Wikipedia, KOSH doesn't have airline service now since 2003. So I remain confused why the Class D remains.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittman_Regional_Airport
    Airline service is not a requirement to justify a Class D airspace. I would guess the vast majority of Class D airports do not have airline service. Of the 6 class D airports in the vicinity of where I fly none have scheduled airline service.

Yep, FDK for example has never (at least in any modern memory) had air service and it got a tower. Same thing with HEF, MTN, or MRB in the DC Area.

As pointed out, despite appearances at times, the EAA does not own Winnebago County or the OSH airport. Even owning the grass at Pioneer Field doesn't get them out of the fact that it is in the middle of class D airspace.

edit, according to Wikipedia, KOSH doesn't have airline service now since 2003. So I remain confused why the Class D remains.
    A control tower doesn't come and go with airline service. If traffic counts at Wittman field went to zero, the tower would remain in operation for at least another 3 yrs unless there was some kind of exception. An example would be if the airport closed completely, then the tower would be put on a program to be phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    A control tower doesn't come and go with airline service. If traffic counts at Wittman field went to zero, the tower would remain in operation for at least another 3 yrs unless there was some kind of exception. An example would be if the airport closed completely, then the tower would be put on a program to be phased out.
    Does that make any sense with a Federal debt of $17 trillion and the FAA collecting user fees?
    Folks, this country is going broke. It is like aviation is at the stage when early autos needed a cop at every intersection.
    I suspect pilots don't need a tower at most of the airports mentioned. Certainly not Oshkosh from what I see.

If the rule is that a tower remains open even with zero operations then that is insanity. I don't know what else to say.

OK, I have to share an anecdote. Some years ago, I was instructing for the CAP National Flight Academy at OSH (about two weeks after AirVenture.) I was doing bumps and circuits at New Holstein with three and sometime four other airplanes. We all had a good time, maintaining SA for one another and in constant communication. Then we went hack to OSH. There were three airplanes in the pattern for 36. I became the 4th. The stress level of the tower operator rose noticeably. One more plane asked to enter the pattern and the operator lost control. We were extended way out, instructions to different aircraft became confused, and at one time I was instructed to do a 360 for spacing on downwind, which gave me a real close up view of the airplane next behind me. (The Air Force Safety Officer, who saw this, remarked that the pattern is not a good place for air-combat maneuvers.) When we landed, one of my student pilots said, "Sir, you know what would really improve safety here at Oshkosh? CLOSE THE TOWER!" Not that I am advocating that...I am not, but it is a good anecdote. -- Chris Mayer N424AF

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    OK, I have to share an anecdote. Some years ago, I was instructing for the CAP National Flight Academy at OSH (about two weeks after AirVenture.) I was doing bumps and circuits at New Holstein with three and sometime four other airplanes. We all had a good time, maintaining SA for one another and in constant communication. Then we went hack to OSH. There were three airplanes in the pattern for 36. I became the 4th. The stress level of the tower operator rose noticeably. One more plane asked to enter the pattern and the operator lost control. We were extended way out, instructions to different aircraft became confused, and at one time I was instructed to do a 360 for spacing on downwind, which gave me a real close up view of the airplane next behind me. (The Air Force Safety Officer, who saw this, remarked that the pattern is not a good place for air-combat maneuvers.) When we landed, one of my student pilots said, "Sir, you know what would really improve safety here at Oshkosh? CLOSE THE TOWER!" Not that I am advocating that...I am not, but it is a good anecdote. -- Chris Mayer N424AF
    Perhaps all that was needed was a better trained / more experienced controller?

Of course.