Thread: Unlicensed vehicles in camp scholler

Unlicensed vehicles in camp scholler

I see the camping rules prohibit unlicensed vehicles in the camp area. It seems to me I remember every method of conveyance being used there. Is this a rule just in case they need to invoke it? I wanted to bring a minibike this year just for running to the camp store and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickrat View Post
    I see the camping rules prohibit unlicensed vehicles in the camp area. It seems to me I remember every method of conveyance being used there. Is this a rule just in case they need to invoke it? I wanted to bring a minibike this year just for running to the camp store and such.
    None of the campground "rules" are enforced. Do whatever you want, the only problem I see is you may be run over by larger faster unlicensed vehicles on your way to/from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    None of the campground "rules" are enforced. Do whatever you want, the only problem I see is you may be run over by larger faster unlicensed vehicles on your way to/from the store.
    LOL..I guess not. I was also surprised to wake up in the morning to have a tent pitched virtually under my RV canopy. I used to think the people who marked off their camping spots with flagging tape were being absurd. This year I'm packing tape too.

I am amazed that anyone can define a "spot" in Scholler other than the electric sites. Is there any sort of marks on the ground defining "spots"

No, but I parked within a reasonable distance to my new neighbor and wake up in the morning to find a new definition of "reasonable"

I think the "spot" is actually defined in the rules as 20' x 30' with camping "units" a minimum of 10' apart. There are reasons for THESE rules. Just sayin'.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    I am amazed that anyone can define a "spot" in Scholler other than the electric sites. Is there any sort of marks on the ground defining "spots"
    Actually there is. Sometimes the lines not very visible as it looks like they were marked with roundup. In the rectangular areas defined by section streets, the spots are easier defined vs some of the irregular areas where the allotted 600 sq ft is anything but a 20 x 30 rectangle.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Every year I have camped in Scholler, I see countless kids (under 16) driving on motorized vehicles. I thought you were to be a licensed driver to use a motorized vehicle in scholler. I am always afraid of being ran over by someone while walking or riding my bicycle to and from the grounds. Unfortunately, until someone gets hurt (or worse), this practice will probably continue. It is the PARENTS responsibly to uphold this rule. Just my 2 cents worth.

This is a major reason why I do not intend to stay in Camp Scholler again. Noise and, most importantly, safety for me and my children.

Unfortunately, there are a very small majority of folks that don't seem to possess common sense. I've seen people when somebody leaves the site with their car and newbies attempt to set up in the parking space. The tape staked into the ground does a good job at preventing those types of issues. Years past, my site was claimed and staked in advance, so the tape was the only way to ensure nobody would attempt to occupy the site while I was away.

A couple years ago, in an area near Lindbergh and 53rd, EAA planted some saplings that were about ten feet behind the portajohns. Some yahoo in a Class A RV pulled in betwen those trees and the portajohn with only about an inch or two clearance on each side. I guess having a close space to park was really important to that guy. I think I would have preferred parking someplace where the portajohn exhaust pipes were so close to my open windows.

It's also humorous to watch folks on Saturday and Sunday drive through the first ten or so streets looking for an empty site, most of which have been occupied for over a week. Then they proceed to circle like somebody is going to pack up and leave opening weekend.

I guess it takes all types. It certainly adds to the entertainment.........
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler