Thread: Searching for homebuilt

Searching for homebuilt

I've been told define the mission and the aircraft becomes apparent. I have been considering various kits for awhile (I really like the rvs.), but have had a hard time nailing one down. My highest mission priority is affordability after the build. I want lower fuel and if possible no hangar expense. I am looking at some of the folding wing models, possibly store in an enclosed trailer? I was hoping that someone here might be able to give me some good leads. Thanks.

You'd need to further refine it. If you only care about flying slow and having a single seat, then you could build something like a flybaby and run auto gas in it and fold the wings and stuff it somewhere. If you want low fuel burns and faster, you can look at the Quickies and Sonexs and their variants. If you want more seats, then you start into the tradeoffs. You can get good speed and multiple seats pretty economical burns with the EZ variants but you'd probably not want to leave that outside for a long time.

A good place to look is to head out to Oshkosh next week and talk to the owners of ones that look interesting to you. I've never found a builder who wouldn't talk your year off about his experiences. Spent almost six hours talking to Jackie Yoder one year about his GP-4.

I guess, to further define the aircraft, I would like side by side seats (at least a 2 seater), as my wife hates tandem seating. I would like something that can handle some off airport stuff and would like to be able to do so up to 5000 msl. Other than that, I am very open. I like conventional gear and I like a stick as opposed to a yoke. At a bare minimum that would be it.

Unfortunately, I can't make Oshkosh this year, but my old man will be there and I'm sure he'll tell me all about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinpilot View Post
    I guess, to further define the aircraft, I would like side by side seats (at least a 2 seater), as my wife hates tandem seating. I would like something that can handle some off airport stuff and would like to be able to do so up to 5000 msl. Other than that, I am very open. I like conventional gear and I like a stick as opposed to a yoke. At a bare minimum that would be it.

Unfortunately, I can't make Oshkosh this year, but my old man will be there and I'm sure he'll tell me all about it!
    A RV-7, RV-12, and a RV-14 all fit those requirements at different price and performance points. At the moment, RVs are doing a good job of holding their value when it comes time for resale. The RV-12 is the only one that has the potential to be trailerable. With that said, all of the RV-12 flyers don't take advantage of that feature. I've been told that while possible, most don't want to go through that hassle and end up renting an hangar.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other models available too from other vendors.

That leads into the question of build versus buy.

I built a RV-10. As Ron indicated, it's human nature for all of us to be proud of our builds and talk the ear off anyone that's slightly interested.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

No folding wings, but the Wittman Buttercup sounds like a contender, with side-by-side, control stick, low fuel burn (O-200), low and slow, faster when it needs to be, conventional gear, unimproved strips...

Check Earl Luce's site for more info.

http://luceair.com/replica_buttercup.html

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 08-13-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

2 seat, side x side; stick vs yoke; removable wings; economical to fly; reasonable speed. Sounds like a AeroVee powered Sonex, too me.

The name is Wittman.... Steve Wittman....

The Field at O$HCA$H is Wittman Field...
    Name:  BC controls check and Shake down (11).jpg
Views: 417
Size:  55.3 KB
    Gotta Fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    No folding wings, but the Whitman Buttercup sounds like a contender, with side-by-side, control stick, low fuel burn (O-200), low and slow, faster when it needs to be, conventional gear, unimproved strips...

Check Earl Luce's site for more info.

http://luceair.com/replica_buttercup.html

~Chris

EAA Staff
    Have you looked at the Kitfox? http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/

Also, Chris Falconer offers a number of plans-built designs that meet your criteria http://www.falconaravia.com/

Tim