Thread: Noob questions (please be nice)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shocked Noob questions (please be nice)

Stupid questions from a ignorant noob. I fly radio control aircraft including jet powered so my view on ultralights is skewed for sure. I want to get into UL but am in no hurry at all.

1) Do any ultralights use a fly by wire system?
    2) Has anyone ever rigged an ultralight with servos so it could be tested via radio control for the the first flight to prove airworthyness with less risk to life? Is the first flight of an UL the most dangerous ?
    3) Is it realistic for a new guy to buy an UL for less than 5K and be able to get up flying with help from a club? Or are these more prone to problems making it harder for a new person to be sucessful?
    4) I have access to a rural full scale paved airports, which are mostly used for farmers spraying crops. Some use CTAF some do not. I can get permissions to use them from the owners/managers, but will the FAA have a problem if they found out I used it for UL?
    5) Is flying an ultralight with floats over water safer than flying over land (water might soften crashes?)
    6) Is flying ultralights statistically more dangerous than riding a motorcycle?
    7) If your ultralight does not have ailerons (rudder/elevator only), how do you manage a cross wind on landing?

Yup, noob questions! Thanks for anyone who answer them.
    Last edited by skydve76; 07-21-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling