Thread: Aerolite 103

Aerolite 103

Hi, my name is Mark, I live in Bountiful, Utah, I purchased an Air Command Elite CLT last summer and have been rebuilding it over the last year. I have it up for sale and if I get it sold I would like to get an Aerolite 103. I have 67 hours of training in Piper Tomahawks, and most recently Cessna Skycatcher and am finishing my Sport Cert. this fall. I plan to rent LSA's from time to time as I don't believe owning an LSA fixed wing is in the future for me so I think i would like an ultra lite to just have some fun in.

Has any one had any experience with the Aerolite 103? Positive or Negative. I made the mistake of just going and getting this gyro without asking any one and I dont think it is really for me. I dont want to make the same mistake with Ultra Lite.

My elevation is 4800 feet and I working on getting down below 200 lbs.

Would the Aerolite 103 be a good fit?

Thanks for any and all input.

Mark

Aerolight was a good company in the past but it is now under new management. I like the product but do not know about your altitude and weight. I have nothing bad to say but my data is limited to looking and talking to former Aerolight 103 pilots much lighter and in FL. I can try to find out more at Airventure if they are there.

Thanks for the input Jedi, I emailed Ufly-It today with some questions. Have not heard back as of yet. Its funny how long it takes to get an email response from a lot of these companies. Hope its cause they are busy with business and not a lack of motivation to communicate.

Density altitude here is a concern but not insurmountable. If they have some basic performance date that would be helpful. For as small as it is it has a pretty good useful load. My biggest concern is thrust to weight ratio at elevation and density altitude so I will be looking at the Rotax 447 or 503 option if that still keeps it in the part 103 arena. Again I dont know so im just asking questions.

Thanks again

Mark

There are some other forums on the Internet you might want to try. There is another one that I've come across that is pretty active. I'll be doggone if I can locate it again. Seems to have been about both ultralights and light sport flying. Maybe someone else know which one I'm referring to. If you put a post in some other places, you should be able to find out about the Aerolite.

As far as the design, I got to know Terry before he designed the Aerolite and start building them. He has a reputation of being a really straight up, smart guy and the design has had a lot of positive comments over the years. I thought he sold the company a while back but I wouldn't hesitate personally buying one if it's criteria met what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    There are some other forums on the Internet you might want to try. There is another one that I've come across that is pretty active.
    Homebuiltairplanes.com is a good site to post an inquiry on.

Thanks for the lead on the other forums. I believe the new manufacturer of the Aerolite has not changed a thing from the when Terry owned and built them. I really like the aircraft and think one would just fit my needs to scratch that flying itch.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark