Thread: Want to see an 87% T-28 Trojan kit that uses the P & W R-985 450HP "Wasp Jr." Radial?

Want to see an 87% T-28 Trojan kit that uses the P & W R-985 450HP "Wasp Jr." Radial?

I am in the process of planning to develop several kits to use the Pratt and Whitney R-985 450 hp radial engine (used in the PT-17 Stearman biplane and Dehavilland Beaver). The first will be an 87% T-28 "Trojan" two-seat military trainer, all composite construction. To follow will be an 87% F4U Corsair, Japanese Zero, Sea Fury, FW-190 Focke Wulf, etc. If anyone has any ideas concerning how popular these might be, please let me know. This is kind of a market survey. The R-985 can be had for around $43,000, and, apparently, they are readily available. Even at 87% size they will still be a roomy cockpit, especially the T-28.

Soundsawesome to me!

Taree Airport (really) North NSW, Austrlia
    Here in Australia we have the ability to built slightly smaller/lighter aircraft (think Titan 51 here) and call them ultralights.
    Thinking of assorted two seat warbirds, I thought the AT-6 Texan would be a favourite (even though a taildragger), and started some design work to build and power with either a 912s or a Rotec radial.
    Name:  TxnPlns.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  26.0 KB
    I had also looked at the Trojan for those that needed a training wheel at the front

Quote Originally Posted by starjetpilot View Post
    I am in the process of planning to develop several kits to use the Pratt and Whitney R-985 450 hp radial engine (used in the PT-17 Stearman biplane and Dehavilland Beaver). The first will be an 87% T-28 "Trojan" two-seat military trainer, all composite construction. To follow will be an 87% F4U Corsair, Japanese Zero, Sea Fury, FW-190 Focke Wulf, etc. If anyone has any ideas concerning how popular these might be, please let me know. This is kind of a market survey. The R-985 can be had for around $43,000, and, apparently, they are readily available. Even at 87% size they will still be a roomy cockpit, especially the T-28.
    My only question would be how much effort will be put into making it fly like a T-28?

If you disconnect every other spark plug it will approximate the sound of a T-28.

I'll bet most people don't even know why they sound like that?

Here's the explanation:
    The have a lot of cylinders so to last longer only half fire at one time. Thus on Mon, Wed, and Fri, only the odd number cylinders fire, and then on Tue, Thur, and Sat it is the turn for the even numbered cylinders to fire. It is best not to fly them at all on Sunday as that is when things can get confused.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pylon500 View Post
    Here in Australia we have the ability to built slightly smaller/lighter aircraft (think Titan 51 here) and call them ultralights.
    Thinking of assorted two seat warbirds, I thought the AT-6 Texan would be a favourite (even though a taildragger), and started some design work to build and power with either a 912s or a Rotec radial.
    Name:  TxnPlns.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  26.0 KB
    I had also looked at the Trojan for those that needed a training wheel at the front
    That Rotec engine is only 150 HP, this would be with the 450 HP Pratt and Whitney radial, so a larger aircraft. I would also probably do the AT-6 Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If you disconnect every other spark plug it will approximate the sound of a T-28.

I'll bet most people don't even know why they sound like that?

Here's the explanation:
    The have a lot of cylinders so to last longer only half fire at one time. Thus on Mon, Wed, and Fri, only the odd number cylinders fire, and then on Tue, Thur, and Sat it is the turn for the even numbered cylinders to fire. It is best not to fly them at all on Sunday as that is when things can get confused.
    A HA! That explains why two-row radials run smoother: They reverse the days for odd/even in the second row....:-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    My only question would be how much effort will be put into making it fly like a T-28?
    It will probably not be quite as fast as the 100% T-28, but will be faster than the Dehavilland Beaver, as it will have less drag (retractable landing gear). Flight characteristics will be very similar to a 100% T-28.

Quote Originally Posted by starjetpilot View Post
    I am in the process of planning to develop several kits to use the Pratt and Whitney R-985 450 hp radial engine (used in the PT-17 Stearman biplane and Dehavilland Beaver). The first will be an 87% T-28 "Trojan" two-seat military trainer, all composite construction. To follow will be an 87% F4U Corsair... ...Even at 87% size they will still be a roomy cockpit, especially the T-28.
    You should have a look at this:

http://www.corsair82.com/

Tony's also planning on using the P&W R-985.