Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 App - Live Now for iOS and Android!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 App - Live Now for iOS and Android!

See http://airventure.org/app for details and download links, etc.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  82.3 KB

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, it there a way to ID this version? I have had the older version for awhile. It told me there was an update and I clicked to update, but the whole app froze and I couldn't get out of it. Had to shut down the app and restart. I think I got it, as I am seeing forum times now, didn't before. FYI (iPhone 5)
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Hal, it there a way to ID this version? I have had the older version for awhile. It told me there was an update and I clicked to update, but the whole app froze and I couldn't get out of it. Had to shut down the app and restart. I think I got it, as I am seeing forum times now, didn't before. FYI (iPhone 5)
    Hmm - sorry to hear about the freeze, let me know if that happens again. If you have forum times, then you have the most recent build currently available from Apple, which is 1.1. That one went live on iTunes on Monday. We handed off version 1.2 to Apple at that time, so expect one more version from them once they approve it...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hmm - sorry to hear about the freeze, let me know if that happens again. If you have forum times, then you have the most recent build currently available from Apple, which is 1.1. That one went live on iTunes on Monday. We handed off version 1.2 to Apple at that time, so expect one more version from them once they approve it...
    Thanks Hal, thought I got the latest but wasn't sure till you clarified. Might just have been my crappy phone.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Hal,

I've been playing with this app since it was released a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that it was a pre-release version, I didn't voice my concerns, but now that it's live, here you go:

The update process is horrible. It does not run in the background (even if you click background.) If I close the app while running in the background, it seems to stop updating, requiring running again. If I remain within the app while running it in "background" it runs but takes a really long time. Worse, it's impossible to tell if it actually worked or not, and it allows you to run the complete (several minute) process even if you just ran it, rather than tell you "no updates" or similar.

All this while on my home wifi network or strong LTE network. How this will work on site is anyone's guess, as both the EAA wifi and the carriers signals are abysmal during the show.

Sorry to be so negative but this thing really needs work.

(version 1.1 on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 and iPad 2 iOS 7.1.2 wifi only)
    Last edited by Jeff Point; 07-16-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Hal:

Android 4.4.2 is working just fine so far. I've just downloaded it. Will let you know more as I work with it. I'm on a home WiFi network behind a slow DSL provider and it seems quite responsive thus far.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Hal,

I've been playing with this app since it was released a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that it was a pre-release version, I didn't voice my concerns, but now that it's live, here you go:

The update process is horrible. It does not run in the background (even if you click background.) If I close the app while running in the background, it seems to stop updating, requiring running again. If I remain within the app while running it in "background" it runs but takes a really long time. Worse, it's impossible to tell if it actually worked or not, and it allows you to run the complete (several minute) process even if you just ran it, rather than tell you "no updates" or similar.

All this while on my home wifi network or strong LTE network. How this will work on site is anyone's guess, as both the EAA wifi and the carriers signals are abysmal during the show.

Sorry to be so negative but this thing really needs work.

(version 1.1 on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 and iPad 2 iOS 7.1.2 wifi only)
    I'm sorry to hear that, Jeff - it absolutely doesn't match the experiences I've had in testing across multiple devices and network type over the past three months. The background update feature is meant to let you keep using the app while the updates are downloaded, not necessarily to let you close the app and do other things. When the update completes, you'll see a dialog box that pops up to prompt you to install what you've just downloaded, which takes a fraction of a second at that point - that's how you know the update worked.

In my experience, on an especially slow network connection, the longest update time I've measured is just over two minutes - I've never seen anything even remotely close to "several minutes." From here on out, we're going to do our best to limit those updates to twice a day, unless there is a major schedule change or serious issue to fix. Hopefully the utility of the app will be worth putting up with at most 4 minutes of "horrible" every day.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hal,
    FWIW, the app has been updating and working fantastic for me. The only issue I have ( and ii am sure it is me or my settings) is that I keep getting the same notifications over and over again on my Ipad 3.
    Thanks for everything!
    rick

Hey Hal

I have an antique iPhone (3GS) that I have jailbroken and unlocked for travel so I can use local SIM cards (instead of my Canadian one). It only runs IOS 6.1.6. Is there any hope for a compatible version of the AirVenture app for it? If not, I guess I'll have to carry around my Samsung too, just in flight mode (what a PITA :-)

Cheers
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Thanks for the feedback, Rick! There are a couple of bug fixes with respect to notifications that are forthcoming, so it may not be you...

In the meantime, if they're getting to be too annoying, you can disable them by going to Preferences, Notification Options, then unchecking the ones where you're seeing duplicates.

Thanks!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor