Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 App - Live Now for iOS and Android!

Love the app (we've been in OSH since Sunday) but to update it in the N40 I have to set up a 4G hotspot. The crappy WiFi just doesn't cut it.

Love the georeferenced map, BTW!

Hal,

I know I'm slow, and busy...

Why did the app not include detailed maps of the Commercial display buildings as in years past? It used to be you would know exactly where in the building a vendor was, this time it just showed you which building. I know this isn't a big thing, but it is sometimes easier to walk around the building and in a different door than to fight through the aisles.

Oh, and how about the ability to export an event to iCal on the iPhone/iPad? I'm guessing that it is a PITA to do it but I had to split my attention between my calendar and the app since some things didn't show up in the app (like the Lifetime Member dinner).

Other than that the app served all my needs well.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Hal,

I know I'm slow, and busy...

Why did the app not include detailed maps of the Commercial display buildings as in years past? It used to be you would know exactly where in the building a vendor was, this time it just showed you which building. I know this isn't a big thing, but it is sometimes easier to walk around the building and in a different door than to fight through the aisles.

Oh, and how about the ability to export an event to iCal on the iPhone/iPad? I'm guessing that it is a PITA to do it but I had to split my attention between my calendar and the app since some things didn't show up in the app (like the Lifetime Member dinner).

Other than that the app served all my needs well.

Jim
    Hey Jim -

There were detailed floorplans of all four exhibit hangars, as well as a few other indoor exhibit areas (the Innovations Center, etc.) If you found an exhibitor and tapped on it, it would show you, as you saw, which building they were in and list the booth number. The thing that maybe wasn't obvious was that if you then tapped on the building on the map, the floorplan would pop up. While it wouldn't highlight the individual booth (next year!) it did list all of the booth numbers.

I'd love to look at doing calendar exports for next year - I don't yet have a sense for what that'll take, but it's definitely on the want list.

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Sure wish the latest (last) update did NOT delete the forum schedules and my schedule?? Why was that done?

Hi Marty - I've heard a couple reports of people losing their plan info after an update, but we never reproduced that in-house. As for the forum schedules, they most definitely weren't deleted - that info is all still there.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hi Marty - I've heard a couple reports of people losing their plan info after an update, but we never reproduced that in-house. As for the forum schedules, they most definitely weren't deleted - that info is all still there.
    It appears that the menu options have been removed. I went looking for a vendor's name, as well as the name of a presenter, the other day and was surprised that I couldn't display the exhibitor list or the forum schedule.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

The home screen changed layouts at a couple of different points based on whether it was before, during, or after convention, but everything is still there in the main menu on the left.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hey Jim -

There were detailed floorplans of all four exhibit hangars, as well as a few other indoor exhibit areas (the Innovations Center, etc.) If you found an exhibitor and tapped on it, it would show you, as you saw, which building they were in and list the booth number. The thing that maybe wasn't obvious was that if you then tapped on the building on the map, the floorplan would pop up. While it wouldn't highlight the individual booth (next year!) it did list all of the booth numbers.

I'd love to look at doing calendar exports for next year - I don't yet have a sense for what that'll take, but it's definitely on the want list.

Hal
    Hal, remember I'm an airline pilot... It wasn't obvious to me.

I just went to look at something and I can't find much, no exhibitor info, etc. Wait a second. I just tried a content update and it is all back! I feel like I'm in the runway lights scene in Airplane... Just Kidding!!!!

Okay, just tried it. Yeah, never figured that out, maybe I should have read the directions! I did have to pinch the map down a bit, touching the iPhone screen picture in the small zoom I couldn't get it to open.

Thanks again Hal for all you do, I watched for you but didn't see you at all. That cloaking device was working very well!

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem