Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 App - Live Now for iOS and Android!

Hal, I sincerely appreciate all the blood that's been shed on this project; as an aerospace SW guy, I really do...

that said, and it's nothing for this year, is that some of the "features" may not have much use at this point in time. As an example, advising which nearby airports have commercial air service, or how to drive to Convention, etc. Too little, too late.

The GOAL may be for next year to have this app released by Feb or March, and that would be a good time, since that seems to be when most folks start nailing-down their final trip plans, buy airline tix, etc. But, us'n who are a bit more hard-core about Convention, etc., and who've been the biggest app users thus far, already *know* this stuff. Like I said, it's all about timing of the release. You've made great strides thus far - good grief, it's usable, so we Thank You.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Thanks Carl, that's good feedback, greatly appreciated. I'll disagree on the driving part, at least for our weekend visitors, but the airline info isn't all that helpful at this point.

The good news is that the home screen layout will change once convention begins, and will display different information, especially if it detects that you're actually here. The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map.

Anyway, thank you for paying the app the highest compliment I can imagine for any piece of software and calling it "usable!"

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    Hal,

I am trying to install the app on my NextBook tablet with Android 4.2.2, and I get "Your device isn't compatible with this version." What does it need special that a standard low-end entry level tablet wouldn't have?

Dave
    Hi Dave -

Did you get any other information and/or error message? We're thinking it's related to one of two things: the app is looking for location services (GPS or similar) and external storage, one or both of which may not be available on your device, but we'll continue to investigate.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hi Dave -

Did you get any other information and/or error message? We're thinking it's related to one of two things: the app is looking for location services (GPS or similar) and external storage, one or both of which may not be available on your device, but we'll continue to investigate.

Thanks -

Hal
    Hal,

It doesn't have GPS, and as far as I know no other location services, unless Google has something embedded that I haven't found yet. (What do you want for $69?) But it does have a 32GB memory card. I was figuring that I wouldn't be able to use the "Near Me" services, but does it really need to know where I am to show me the forum schedule?

Thanks,
    Dave

Thanks for the update, Dave - that's what I'm trying to figure out. The iOS version loads fine on non-GPS equipped iPads, so I'm expecting the same thing from Android. I've got one of the developers looking into it.

Thanks for your patience -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Any chance this will sync "my stuff" across devices?

I just went through a couple of days of selection on iPad... and then loaded Android which I will always have with me. Then I thought... ah oh... no log in probably = no sync.

Unless I'm missing something (fingers crossed)

Sorry to say that you're right - supporting a sync across multiple devices was beyond the scope for this year, out first version. It's definitely something we'll look at in future versions.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

The good news is that the home screen layout will change once convention begins, and will display different information, especially if it detects that you're actually here. The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map. "
    Wow!! If the location services work, that'll be a rave feature. Hope it surpasses your expectations.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map.
    That's incredible, Hal. Really! Sometimes (well, most of the time actually) I am just flabbergasted at the incredible rate at which technology is advancing, and even more importantly to EAA, how that rapidly advancing technology is being implemented for AirVenture. This feature, if it works as you (and me too) hope it does, really could be the most useful tool yet to arrive at AirVenture, as you've said. I'm in complete agreement with you on this one. Amazing effort by you and your team to implement this great idea. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

With the new maps that were just pushed tonight (well, today here in Arizona) there shouldn't be any arguments about how many and where are the drinking fountains, or the restrooms. You can even find out who has donuts and where they're located, and, if you're not too full, where Kelley Country Creamery is to enjoy really good ice cream.

Kudos to the developers.
    Bill