Thread: The Spirit of Aviation

The Spirit of Aviation

For those who have never seen, or those like me who have seen it hundreds of times, here's a video that will get you in the mood for Oshkosh like nothing else will. It's hard to believe that it's been seven years now since this video came out. If memory serves, this was one of Brady Lane's first big efforts as an EAA employee, and probably cemented his employment status for a long time.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1381694270
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Great video.....I already sent it on to my "fellow travelers" who will join me this year, two for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    For those who have never seen, or those like me who have seen it hundreds of times, here's a video that will get you in the mood for Oshkosh like nothing else will. It's hard to believe that it's been seven years now since this video came out. If memory serves, this was one of Brady Lane's first big efforts as an EAA employee, and probably cemented his employment status for a long time.

Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

If memory serves, this was one of Brady Lane's first big efforts as an EAA employee, and probably cemented his employment status for a long time.

To give credit where credit is due, this one was the work of EAA Video's Jim Soyk. Jim is the master editor responsible for the Hints to Homebuilders series. It's a superb film that we show daily in the AirVenture Museum to give visitors a taste of what our convention is all about.

Zack

I stand corrected. I first saw this in early 2008, I was at HQ for a Chapter Leaders Academy and we got to screen it before it was released. Hard to believe it's been that long. I would have sworn that Brady was mentioned as the creator, but I've been wrong before.

The version on the website has been updated a couple times with new footage (the new tower for example.) The version on the website is pretty low res. I know that there are higher res versions- any chance that one of these could replace the low res one? It wouldn't have to be HD, just not the grainy one that now exists.
    Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Hey, Jeff..

Take a look at this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJF1JaPrAPg

If you've been around awhile you've seen it....lots of good stuff. If memory serves, EAA actually sent it to the Chapters on VHS or Beta when it came out. :-)

Jim
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-17-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fixed video embed.

I remember this one! A classic.
    Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I remember this one! A classic.
    Wow, they had jet aerobatic team performances during the air show back in 78? How could that be? Sorry, just was surprised by this considering that there has been some negative response to the Thunderbirds this year and who they are supposedly catering to.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Wow, they had jet aerobatic team performances during the air show back in 78? How could that be? Sorry, just was surprised by this considering that there has been some negative response to the Thunderbirds this year and who they are supposedly catering to.
    I believe one of the points of difference is that all the jet teams invited to OSH back then were private or foreign-govnt-sponsored (I remember the Snowbirds, Frecce Tricolori and the Jordanian Falcons specifically...the Snowbirds are shown in the video). My supposition is that the foreign teams were not beholden to the FAA, just the State Department...making airshow lines perhaps less of an issue. I remember the Snowbirds for at least a couple years making a formation head-on pass at and over the crowd from over the lake.

My additional supposition is that that all paid their own way. Paul's premise as expressed to the memberhip was that EAA ALLOWED people to perform at OSH.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 07-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.