Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes Bad/Changes Good

I believe depending on the whim of the guys in the comm center, they play the yodler tape, the engine start, and some "vintage" music at the start of the day.

Another thing I miss are the "Dawn Patrol" warbirds launching. Back when the WWII guys were still flying, those boys would launch the moment the field opened, giving everyone in the North 40 the best alarm clock possible.

Now, the billionaire Mustang owners sleep late, and have their ground crews prepare the airplanes for an 8 AM launch.

Speaking of Dawn Patrol, the other thing I miss was back when Canon was the camera sponsor (it has been Nikon for the past few years), they would (in exchange for collateral) loan you a camera for a day. I thought that was sweet. I shot with a film camera for a couple of years and then switched to digital (including some of the very high end bodies). It was enough to make a Canon man out of me. Too bad Nikon doesn't have a similar program.

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    Another thing I miss are the "Dawn Patrol" warbirds launching. Back when the WWII guys were still flying, those boys would launch the moment the field opened, giving everyone in the North 40 the best alarm clock possible.
    Your indulgence for a short hijack. Memories of my of my first 'dawn patrol'. Got to OSH '71 the evening before start, and pitched a small tent in the perfect location for viewing by a newbie...directly across the snow fence from the Mustangs. Heard voices outside the tent early the next morning, but didn't pay much attention...until....the P51 tailed into the fence opposite us fired up and blew the tent 7 ways from Sunday! :-) Loved those days!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion :-)

Couple of things: I don't remember the yodler (spelling??) but maybe I was still asleep. Seems they also had a rooster crowing. As I've previously posted, I do like the various flybys (vintage, warbirds, homebuilts, etc.) and while I can appreciate the acrobatics most of them are pretty repetitive and for my part they could cut the acro part of the air show in half.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

You had to be camped down somewhere where there were speakers. I didn't know about him the years I camped in the North 40, but boy did I find out in a hurry the first time we were camped in Vintage near the UL runway. The ultralights firing up followed the yodler nearly immediately.

Right....I was parked in the vintage area about half way down to the ultra lights. Big speaker about four planes away. By the way, I agree with whoever posted above regarding the "color commentators" babbling on. I'd rather hear the 'airplane noise' but I'll be back again this year for the 'umpteenth time'......wouldn't miss it and hope I can fly in (depending on the weather).
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I just tune the speakers out. Most of the announcing is just time filling drivel I agree, but a lot of the crowd hasn't heard it before and it is somewhat useful. At least they didn't repeat the utter disaster place the over bearing monster speakers in front of the crowd after the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You had to be camped down somewhere where there were speakers. I didn't know about him the years I camped in the North 40, but boy did I find out in a hurry the first time we were camped in Vintage near the UL runway. The ultralights firing up followed the yodler nearly immediately.
    Huh. We always heard the yodeler in the North 40. With earplugs! lol

In my post above, I was not referring to the ongoing commentary as the "noise". I find most of the commentary to be not only entertaining, but also very instructional and informative. What I was referring to was the very loud and very blaring music that frequently accompanies performers' routines. Much of the music I don't even like. The only accompanying music I enjoy during a performance is the old 40's music that is sometimes played along with some of the warbird performances, but it is usually played for only relatively short time periods, not throughout the whole performance, and typically is not played at eardrum bursting decibels. I just find the very loud, sometimes heavy metal type of music to be completely distracting and anti-pleasurable.