Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Changes Bad/Changes Good

"Bad- A radically increased emphasis on revenue. ....this organization is supposed to be about people, not cash."

Don't blame EAA for all of the cost increases. I learned a few years ago after volunteering at the Ducks Unlimited Outdoor Expo (from a DU director), that used be held on the EAA grounds, about a month after AirVenture, that a lot of the costs (like camping, exhibitor spaces, etc.) are set be the Oshkosh Convention Bureau... or board, or whatever they call it.

It's kind of a long story but, to make it short, I was going to send off a nasty letter to EAA for charging the relatively few DU volunteers overnight camping fees. ("DU leased the grounds. How much money does EAA need?" I thought.) When I talked to the DU director about my concerns he told me that EAA had nothing to do with that. It was all dictated by the OCB.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau is run by the city's hotel industry. I'm not sure how they got to control the EAA and the County but I suspect there's some I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine going on.

I know it's 'supply and demand' but when they charge something like $275 per night for a Motel Six it's highway robbery. My wife ran a small business for years and never raised her prices just because supplies were tight at a particular time. We stayed at the Super 8 near the end of 09 once when I attended an event during the winter at Oshkosh and the place was absolutely filthy. I wonder if it's any better during the convention when they charge the 'big bucks'. L16 Pilot
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Yodler

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    He passed away several years ago. They piped in recordings for a year or two but decided to hang it up. I miss that too.
    John from the ComCenter here, we did play the recording of the Yodler last year at the convention, but we did not do it everyday.

We still do that but not everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by jsully629 View Post
    John from the ComCenter here, we did play the recording of the Yodler last year at the convention, but we did not do it everyday.
    For those who have to have their fix, I converted the audio track from the EAA Video recording of the yodeler into a ring tone:

http://www.ronnatalie.com/images/yodelmod.m4r

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    For those who have to have their fix, I converted the audio track from the EAA Video recording of the yodeler into a ring tone:

http://www.ronnatalie.com/images/yodelmod.m4r
    Awesome, thanks!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Ok, back to the most important thing. Are the cake donuts now being served down in vintage on par with the old Zaugs?

Quote Originally Posted by jsully629 View Post
    play it every morning all week!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonerai2mx View Post
    Ok, back to the most important thing. Are the cake donuts now being served down in vintage on par with the old Zaugs?
    They seem to be for me, though I'm not the connoisseur of fat pills (though some of my camping mates are). They were slightly smaller than the old Ace Cafe ones that I remember but not by much, but tasty either plane or with sugar on them. We grab a dozen or so of them for the early shift at the Vintage flight line and that and a cup of joe gets me going in the morning.

Vikki's (located in the little campground on the corner of the diagonal Waupan road and Knapp street, by the old Zaugs gate if you remember that) lunch wagon has had in the past a cute little mini donut machine that you can watch fry up the donuts and get them hot off the press...