Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm against bringing the Thunderbirds

Jeff-

Sorry for being late to the discussion. To borrow some verbiage from Ron W... "You stated your case well, non-emotionally, and with good logic.". Interesting point about the volunteers. Here's my logic, open for debate, obviously....

As the core EAA members' age increases, the 'honey pot' of free labor for OSH is evaporating (absent an influx of new volunteers/members). This means fewer folks to accomplish the basics (setup, parking, registration, etc, etc..most of us know the drill and have done it).

During the same time period, EAA HQ is increasing the overall volunteer labor needed by adding more...I'll call it a 'general admission' factor.... with concerts, T-Birds, etc. Seems there's got to be breaking point somewhere.

It's said regularly that EAA makes most of it's money at OSH....the volunteers would seem to be a major source of that funding. Will that continue if AirVenture continues to go more mainstream?....just askin'.

Jim

Well said Jeff. It all goes to the target audience. That target has been shifting. The desire to grow and expand revenues is an endless chase. And thank you Jeff for your volunteer service. Your one of the reasons I attend. And as a previous AV performer, there are some acts I watch, and most I dont. I sure do watch the experimentals when they are up. Others? Not so much.

You are correct the Green Gang cannot tear down the speaker system until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarkerjr View Post
    Does anyone know if there are there any maps out there that depict where the restricted areas for the Thunderbirds shows?

Thanks!
    Anything east of the speaker line is restricted during the Thunderbirds show

Quote Originally Posted by jsully629 View Post
    Anything east of the speaker line is restricted during the Thunderbirds show
    And everything south of the Ultralight runway in Vintage.

I listened to the 2014 Airventure webinar. They said the Thunderbirds will bring the youth.
    That seems ok to me, if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I listened to the 2014 Airventure webinar. They said the Thunderbirds will bring the youth.
    That seems ok to me, if true.
    It'll be interesting if they collect data to prove or disprove that hypothesis.

I'm doubtful, since the T-birds have already flown this year at Rockford, IL, which is more convenient to Chicago, Madison, and Milwaukee than to Oshkosh.

I agree with Jeff Point. I have attended every Oshkosh since 1986 and this year I am sitting it out. Earlier this year I intentionally allowed my membership to expire as well. The reasons are simple:

1). Jack Pelton - google his educational credentials from Hamilton University and decide for yourself.
    2). EAA on FAA ATC fees for Oshkosh - they were going to fight then caved. This is just the first round of user fees.
    3). EAA no longer represents the little guy in aviation. They are trying to be "Everyone's Aviation Assoc".

When are we going to see some back to basics grass roots aviation? When will we see real leadership?

I will tell you as a local I hear a lot of people who have bought tickets for either the first time ever or first time in many, many years. Personally I live anything aviation, homebuilt to military to commercial.

I hear ya Fastcapy! I still run outside and look up at whatever is flying over. I'll always be that way and I like it. As I've stated earlier, I'm in the wait and see how this turns out mode. If it's a horror story, I'm sure this will be a one time deal. But if it's not, and I think it won't be, this could turn into something that happens more often. I hope it wouldn't be every year. But when my non-aviation friends have asked in the past what the "big draw" is for the year and if it wasn't something like Concorde, etc., their not that interested. If the weather holds, crowds could be really big. And all packed into a smaller area, gulp.