Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Why I'm against bringing the Thunderbirds

Byron J. Covey
    I consider the "fly-in" to be over on Friday about noon. Apparently so did most of the pilots of the homebuilts in attendance. After that, it becomes an "Air Show" for the non-flying public, apparently for the express purpose of making more money.

Do I like that? No.

Do I like watching the Thunderbirds? No. Their show isn't very good. (The Blues are slightly better. At least the Blues all fly in the same county during a show.) It takes too long, with too little action.

While I'm on a rant, I don't like "Sport Aviation" either. It is the worst that it has ever been, and I have read every issue since it was called "The Experimenter." Get rid of the "Flying" magazine rejects.

Will I attend next year. Yes. I really enjoy attending the forums, seeing the craftsmanship of builders and restorers, talking to experts and amateurs, and visiting with aviation product vendors. I don't really go to Oshkosh to buy pots and pans.

EAA seems to be trying to be everything for everyone, and has become not much of anything for the experimental aircraft owners / operators / builders. Sad.

Byron,

agree with your comments about the Thunderbirds I first saw them many years ago and I do not think the routine has changed at all and left me a little disappointed. If you want an exciting jet aero team then you have to look towards the european teams such a Red Arrows, Frecce Tricolori etc to see how it can be done. They certainly stay within a much tighter box and in sight of the crowd at all times whereas the Tbirds seemed to disappear for what seemed like ages (only 30 seconds or so) after each pass.

My wife would like to see a demo team of A-10s! (Me too). Not so much the aerobatics -- well maybe that too, but something along the lines of the Vietnam display on Wednesday. Not going to happen in the current political environment. For other fighters/attack aircraft, how about a low-level demonstration showing the aerobatic maneuver and then demonstrating its usefulness in Air Combat Maneuvers? I know I am dreaming…but I have seen such things as part of live fire demonstrations (to which family members were invited) and there is no reason why it couldn't be done at AirVenture (less the live-fire part.)