Thread: Which is the largest aircraft hangar in the world?

Which is the largest aircraft hangar in the world?

A pal of mine said it was at area 51 but i checked on google earth and they are not near the size of the largest in the world (I would think) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kania View Post
    A pal of mine said it was at area 51 but i checked on google earth and they are not near the size of the largest in the world (I would think) thanks
    I think one of the blimp/dirigible hangars would be a front runner.

Not sure if it technically qualifies as a hangar, but the Boeing plant in Everett, Washington is the largest building in the world by volume.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    NASA might disagree with you Zack. According to them the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral is the largest hangar in the world.
    The VAB covers 3.25 hectares (8 acres). It is 160 meters (525 ft) tall, 218 meters (716 ft) long and 158 meters (518 ft) wide. It encloses 3,664,883 cubic meters (129,428,000 cubic feet) of space.
    Name:  vab.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  77.2 KB
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I think one of the blimp/dirigible hangars would be a front runner.
    The Navy built two gigantic Dirigibile hangars, Hangar 1 at Lakehurst NJ, and the other Hangar 1 at Moffett Field, Sunnyvale, CA. They are both still standing. The Blimp hangars, of which there were many more, although huge, are in fact considerably smaller than Hangar Ones.

Not to be (too) argumentative, but I view a hangar as being different than an assembly line.

When I was at Moffett, I was told that if you pulled a Carrier ashore next to Hangar One, the carrier would be dwarfed.

Guess it depends on your definition of "Hangar". Mine is more along the line of "place for storage of aircraft between flights." This would exclude the Boeing factory, and really excludes the Canaveral VAB as well ("Vehicle ASSEMBLY Building).

With that, my vote is for the old Navy dirigible hangars. There is an aviation museum in an old blimp hangar in Tillamook, Oregon, and it's interesting how large four-engined aircraft (such as a Super Guppy) are just DWARFED by the hangar. And it ain't even a big one.

Name:  Tillamook-Blimp-building.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  24.4 KB
    Ron Wanttaja

There were two there, but one burned down a while back.

There's a few at Moffet field one of which I believe is even larger.
    There's some in Akron (home of Goodyer) as well.

Of course there's the VAB at Kennedy, though that's not strictly an airplane Hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There were two there, but one burned down a while back.

There's a few at Moffet field one of which I believe is even larger.
    There's some in Akron (home of Goodyer) as well.
    Wonder how Udvar-Hazy would compare, in square footage at least.

Of course, it's less a hangar than an aviation roach motel like any museum (planes check in...they never check out).

Ron Wanttaja

Udvar-Hazy is smaller than the blimp hangars. Hangar One at Moffet is twice the length and about 32000 sq meters of floor space compared to the UHC 27,200.

The floor space of the VAB is just slightly larger than One but it's a lot taller giving it more interior volume.