Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get training in my own LSA???

This might settle it. Something from an FAA guy on this.

http://www.iflyamerica.org/flight_tr...xpermental.asp

In particular his line "If you own an experimental aircraft, you could and still can pay someone to check you out in your own aircraft."

-Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 07-12-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ron, could you please clarify which regs don't support it. I am, in deed, sharing the current interpretation.
    91.109(a).

I've never heard such an interpretation, but that doesn't mean that some whacko FAA guy didn't issue one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    91.109(a).

I've never heard such an interpretation, but that doesn't mean that some whacko FAA guy didn't issue one.
    I think 91.319(e) is the one that applies.

ASA Sport Pilot PTS. page 9....
    The aircraft utilized for Sport Pilot and Sport Pilot Flight Instructor Practical tests and proficiency checks must be a light-sport aircraft as defines in 14 CFR 1.

Single-Seat Aircraft Practical Test:
    Applicants for a Sport Pilot Certificate may elect to take their test in a single-seat aircraft. The FAA established in 14CFR part 61. section 61.45{f} specific requirements to allow a practical test for a Sport Pilot Certificate Only.
    This provision does not allow a practical test for a flight Instructor Certificate or Recreational Pilot Certificate or Higher to be conducted in a light-sport aircraft that has a single-pilot seat.

That just mimics the 100hr restriction that exists for certificated aircraft. It doesn't forbid instruction.

Couple of things:

First, a newly built Kolb will not be an ELSA; it will be E-AB (but it's LSA compliant so a sport pilot or SP student may fly it. Second, there is no "LSA training"... SP training can only be conducted in a LSA compliant aircraft, while PP training may be conducted in a LSA or standard category aircraft.

If you own the aircraft, experimental or not, you can pay somebody to teach you to fly it, but you can't pay somebody to teach you in an experimental that you're paying for the use of as that's considered a commercial operation.

Side question: If you can receive training in a single seat aircraft, does that mean you can get a BFR in a single seater?
    Last edited by Dana; 07-13-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Couple of things:

First, a newly built Kolb will not be an ELSA; it will be E-AB (but it's LSA compliant so a sport pilot or SP student may fly it. Second, there is no "LSA training"... SP training can only be conducted in a LSA compliant aircraft, while PP training may be conducted in a LSA or standard category aircraft.

If you own the aircraft, experimental or not, you can pay somebody to teach you to fly it, but you can't pay somebody to teach you in an experimental that you're paying for the use of as that's considered a commercial operation.

Side question: If you can receive training in a single seat aircraft, does that mean you can get a BFR in a single seater?
    The regs are written so one can train in a single seat. But NO CFI will do it. If anyone has trained in a single seat I would like to hear from them. So I would say no you can not train in a single seat for no CFI will train you, even though the regs say we can do this.

Tony