Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get training in my own LSA???

Get training in my own LSA???

Several of us (5) friends are building a two place Kolb M3X. Will any or hopefully all of us (since we own it together) be able to get LSA training in it when its ready for flight. We need help finding the rule that covers our situation.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jody

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Several of us (5) friends are building a two place Kolb M3X. Will any or hopefully all of us (since we own it together) be able to get LSA training in it when its ready for flight. We need help finding the rule that covers our situation.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jody
    I don't believe there is a rule that says you can get instruction in an aircraft that you own. That is a given. You can get instruction in anything that you own.

Rather, there is a rule that says an instructor can't give commercial instruction in an ELSA. What that means is the instructor could not instruct any non-owner in your ELSA. He can only instruct someone that is an owner.

Hope that helps.

Jody - I agree with Buzz. There is nothing to prevent you and the 4 other owners from receiving flight training in your aircraft. It would be great if you could find one LSA instructor to teach all of you. Good luck!

I agree with the previous statements. Frankly, I think it's a misinterpretation of the regs that even an instructor can't provide instruction in an experimental (ELSA or otherwise). The ban is for carrying passengers for hire and the FAA otherwise doesn't consider flight instruction to be a for hire operation (even when the instructor provides the aircraft). However a lot of the FAA offices hold with their interpretation that it is not permitted so we're stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I agree with the previous statements. Frankly, I think it's a misinterpretation of the regs that even an instructor can't provide instruction in an experimental (ELSA or otherwise).
    Just to make ensure we don't confuse anyone that doesn't read the complete thread.

The way the regs work is an instructor can provide instruction in an experimental only to the owner of the experimental. [And by "instruction", it means time loggable towards a license.]

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just to make ensure we don't confuse anyone that doesn't read the complete thread.

The way the regs work is an instructor can provide instruction in an experimental only to the owner of the experimental. [And by "instruction", it means time loggable towards a license.]
    That is the current interpretation but it is NOT supported by the regs.

What do the regs say about it? That's what I can't find. Also: does it apply only to E lsa or also to AB lsa AND hoping that the ownership part would apply to all 5 of us owners.
    Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You can get instruction in anything that you own.
    This really is not correct. For even though the regs state you can get training in a single seat with the CFI standing on the ground using a radio. I have yet to see this done.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This really is not correct. For even though the regs state you can get training in a single seat with the CFI standing on the ground using a radio. I have yet to see this done.

Tony
    And which reg would that be? In fact, the regs specifically preclude that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That is the current interpretation but it is NOT supported by the regs.
    Ron, could you please clarify which regs don't support it. I am, in deed, sharing the current interpretation. If it's in conflict with the regs, could you clarify which ones those are for all of us.

A good discussion we're having if the common interpretation of the regs is confused.

Thanks!

-Buzz