Thread: Block Ice

Block Ice

Since my camper only has an Ice Box, I prefer to use block ice. In years past, I was able to buy block ice at the west store (although it was really regular ice packed into a block). Last year it was not available and had to use bagged ice. A 20 lb bag of Ice only lasted a day even with the cool weather last year. The imitation block ice lasted almost 2 days in years past. Real block ice will last at least 4 days for me. I make my own at home for weekend trips, but that won't work for 7 to 9 days in Oshkosh. Is there any place close to KOSH to buy true block ice?

Dave in Missouri

It's been a few yrs, but I got a block of dry ice at Meijer in N. Fon du lac. Lasted 'long time'

Several "ICE" dealers listed in the phone book (online). You might give them a call. There's also an Ice Sculpture place in Appleton who might be able to help (though they tend to freeze up their own blocks).

Quote Originally Posted by scuba72 View Post
    Since my camper only has an Ice Box, I prefer to use block ice. In years past, I was able to buy block ice at the west store (although it was really regular ice packed into a block). Last year it was not available and had to use bagged ice. A 20 lb bag of Ice only lasted a day even with the cool weather last year. The imitation block ice lasted almost 2 days in years past. Real block ice will last at least 4 days for me. I make my own at home for weekend trips, but that won't work for 7 to 9 days in Oshkosh. Is there any place close to KOSH to buy true block ice?

Dave in Missouri
    A couple of years ago I got block ice at the Pick N Save near the Target.

Thanks, I'll check Pick N Save as I go there about every two days. Dry ice would be nice, but driving to Fon du lac would cost more in gas than savings buying a 20 lb bag of ice every day on sight I think.

Last year I asked the guy that has run the discount EAA merchandise store why they quit carrying blocks of ice. He said I was the first person to ask. I explained it works better fro camping and keeping coolers cool. He said he would request them to bring him some blocks next year. Not sure he will remember, or if they will oblige but I know the ice vendor situation changed a couple years back and it may be an oversight.

Back before I bought a new camper with a real fridge, my 2 previous campers had ice boxes and I had trouble getting blocks anywhere except Oshkosh. The ice company that supplies all the sales bins in stores and gas stations all over the county was just a couple of blocks from my house so I went directly there, and the guy that ran the place told me that since so few campers still had ice boxes, he didn't sell enough blocks and didn't even have the molds any more. He said if I would give him a weeks notice he would try to fix me up inthe future. I started keeping old milk cartons and keeping them in the freezer with water in them. But I found distilled water makes better (longer lasting) ice, so I bought a couple of jugs of that, and poured out just enough for some expansion and put them in the freezer.

Dave

[QUOTE=dclaxon;42937I started keeping old milk cartons and keeping them in the freezer with water in them. But I found distilled water makes better (longer lasting) ice, so I bought a couple of jugs of that, and poured out just enough for some expansion and put them in the freezer.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing for weekend trips, but for a 9 day trip its impracticable unless I can find some one with a freezer that is willing to let me use it for ice while I'm there. I'll have to try the distilled water for the next weekend trip.

Dave in Missouri

My cousin in law has switched to dry ice and liquid nitrogen.
    Use the dry ice first, then when it has all melted, use a venturi on the end of a small nitrogen tank to freeze water and place it in the cooler.
    He gets both from local medical O2 type companies.

Tim