Thread: Continental A40-4 single igntion engine

Continental A40-4 single igntion engine

Working with a Continental A40-4 engine and looking for information as to what material the original valve guides were made of? Also whether the valve springs were originally cad plated or other from the factory? One final question is if anyone has had Aries pistons made for the A40 and if so, what part number to order?
    Thank you,
    David

Certified or experimental category? I know the alloy of a pair of guides removed from an a-40 jug, but do not have the factory print. Pistons have been made by a number of companies, arias being one.

Category doesn't really matter as this will not be going in a flying aircraft, but we want it as original as possible and in running condition.
    David

Ok, under that stipulation, the guides that I checked, which appear to be original were C90500 tin/bronze.

So....did that help you out at all?

Hi Aaron,
    Sorry for my delay in responding. Yes it did. We're having new parts made and that did help. Do you know what the valve margins ( the contact face of the valve to the valve seat) would be? .040 or higher?
    Thank you,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dstaffeldt View Post
    Hi Aaron,
    Sorry for my delay in responding. Yes it did. We're having new parts made and that did help. Do you know what the valve margins ( the contact face of the valve to the valve seat) would be? .040 or higher?
    Thank you,
    David
    David,
    One old Continental sheet I have lists 1/16" for the valve margin, which was a pretty common value at that time period. For the valve seat width (what I believe you are asking) you are looking more for .050" Intake and .070" Exhaust if using original materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images