Thread: 75th Anniversary Today - July 6. 1939

75th Anniversary Today - July 6. 1939

Today is the anniversary of the inaugural flight of the US Postal Service's Experimental Air Mail route (EAM2001). So what? This was the beginning of a one year service between the roof of the Philadelphia Post Office and the Camden, NJ airport. The late Johnny Miller was the pilot (he passed away a few years ago at 102 years old and can be seen in the EAA Timeless Voices portal). It was the first Rotary Wing service in the USA. His aircraft was a Kellett KD-1B Autogiro.

I do no believe this anniversary is being recognized by the post office or other groups. The July 2014 issue of Powered Sport Flying Magazine features an article and interesting ephemera about the flights.

Thanks,
    John

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Craparo View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the inaugural flight of the US Postal Service's Experimental Air Mail route (EAM2001). So what? This was the beginning of a one year service between the roof of the Philadelphia Post Office and the Camden, NJ airport. The late Johnny Miller was the pilot (he passed away a few years ago at 102 years old and can be seen in the EAA Timeless Voices portal). It was the first Rotary Wing service in the USA. His aircraft was a Kellett KD-1B Autogiro.

I do no believe this anniversary is being recognized by the post office or other groups. The July 2014 issue of Powered Sport Flying Magazine features an article and interesting ephemera about the flights.

Thanks,
    John
    I have a sealed letter from that flight in my collection of miscellaneous goodies at home - thanks for pointing out the anniversary, John!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation