Thread: Portable Intercom

Portable Intercom

Now that I'm starting to carry passengers in my non-electrical equipped Cygnet, I need a good intercom. Currently, I use a push to talk switch with my handheld I-COM radio, antenna mounted on the windscreen. I use a David Clark headset and everything works great. Now, I need to go to some type of battery powered voice activated intercom that I can also talk/listen to my radio on. I would be interested in hearing what others have done and what you believe is my best option.
    Thank,
    Jerry Folkerts

I have a Skycom ( Pilot Avionics) 2-place portable for less than $100 from Spruce. It works ok but lacks the sound quality of most panel mounted systems. However, if you are using it just once in a while, it allows intercom with passengers, external communications and the 9v battery lasts a long time, like 30 hrs of operation. The portable systems do have the headphone wires sitting in laps which is a pain but tolerable. I velcro'd the unit to the panel so it can be removed when not needed. It is satisfactory for the price. I haven't tried other portable systems on the market so can't make any comparisons.
    Bob H

after trying a few other portable intercoms, I settled on the FliteTech ENRI iTC-2004. It has worked flawlessly for the last 8 years in my 1956 Cessna 182, and sounds better than most panel mount intercoms I have heard, including the factory panel mount Garmin equipped Cessna restart aircraft. I have a Skycom from Spruce also, and it sounds terrible compared to the FlighTech. Good customer support when I sent it in to have the cable lengthened. It handles aux music well. Cellphone interface works with cables, no bluetooth, but I don't use it anyway. go to flighttech.com and read the reviews; they match my experience with it. good luck!

I have two sigtronics SPO that have worked well for me (darned if I know where they are right now). One I bought new and the other I got for $25 used. Work great at NASCAR races as well we can converse with two ANR headsets and listen to the scanner at the same time.

Thanks guys. I purchased a use Pilot Intercom and have it connected to my ICOM A-3. We tested it today and it worked great.
    Jerry Folkerts

That's the same one I use. Glad it works well.
    Bob H