Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago VFR Corridor

As a Chicago area flight instructor I've flown the lakeshore route many, many times for discovery flights, photo missions, etc. During the week it probably won't be too busy but on the weekends it is typically pretty hectic with banner towers, sight see-ers, and transitioning traffic. See and avoid is the name of the game. As far as approach causing you issues due to lack of a transponder, don't know but it sounds like others have transitioned without an issue. Have fun!

Is it a safe assumption that before 10am, it's just going to be us north bound crazies heading to OSH? When does the local sight seeing traffic start?
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Is it a safe assumption that before 10am, it's just going to be us north bound crazies heading to OSH? When does the local sight seeing traffic start?
    Things probably get going around 9am and build up from there. I don't think you'll have any problems. VFR flight following with Chicago Approach is helpful - 128.2 (south) , 120.55 (north).

I don't think I would call Chicago approach. Without a transponder they can't see you or give advisories but can always try to discourage you. Fly in good vis and the old way, actually look out the window for traffic.

At the risk of thread hijacking, can any of you local Chicago experts recommend a place to park a small 4-place homebuilt for the weekend before Oshkosh? I need to fly it solo to the area on 7-24, airline out of ORD for a weekend wedding, then airline back to ORD on Monday morning, then fly the homebuilt to OSH. Is PWK amenable to transient lightweights? They seem close enough for a doable cab ride for our family of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredyates View Post
    At the risk of thread hijacking, can any of you local Chicago experts recommend a place to park a small 4-place homebuilt for the weekend before Oshkosh? I need to fly it solo to the area on 7-24, airline out of ORD for a weekend wedding, then airline back to ORD on Monday morning, then fly the homebuilt to OSH. Is PWK amenable to transient lightweights? They seem close enough for a doable cab ride for our family of 4.
    I wouldn't say PWK isn't amenable, but it definitely handles more of the business jet crowd and is a busier airport in general. UGN is less busy, isn't as expensive but is of course a bit farther from ORD. It's about a 50 min drive to O'hare from UGN compared to maybe 20 from PWK.