Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago VFR Corridor

Chicago VFR Corridor

Hey guys. I am heading to Oshkosh this year in my Champ and I've got a question for anyone who flies the VFR lakeshore corridor through Chicago.

My my champ does not have an electrical system. Therefore, according to FAR 91.215(b)(3) I can go through there VFR without a transponder. Have any of you done this though? My concern is that even though I know it's legal, the guy in the tracon may not remember that and stir up trouble. I had a similar issue with Toledo once.

i do have a pretty good hand held radio and have no qualms about calling Chicago approach.

I am an ATP rated pilot and frequently fly into Chicago airspace but that's always in a go-fast airplane with two transponders. I need some advice from someone who's gone without any bells or whistles.

Thanks in advance.

I made an error is phraseology in my last post, there is no VFR Corridor but rather the lakeshore route under the Class B airspace of ORD. Question still applies.

"The guy in tracon" is likely the least of your concerns. The lakeshore route has always been very busy and a recent change has compressed its two-way traffic even more. Since February 6th of this year the RNAV approaches for RWY 22 at Midway (MDW) allow jet traffic between 3,000' and 2,400' over the lake shore. With prevailing southwest winds, those approaches are in common use. The jet wingtip vortices are not constrained to stay at those altitudes. The new upper limit for the VFR flyway south of Navy Pier is 2,000'. Lake Michigan is at 580', leaving very little vertical separation for the intensive traffic in that area. A transponder could help you show up on the traffic displays of other, likely much faster VFR traffic.
    I love Champs, but that airspace isn't where I'd choose to fly one, especially without a transponder. But it's your call...
    -Fred Stadler

Ditto what Fred said. I fly this corridor semi-frequently, but it is with a transponder, active traffic alert technology, not to mention a plane where I only have to be concerned with traffic ahead and not behind. I love Champs but that ain't the place for them.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Probably good advice guys. I've not been through there VFR. I go into ORD, MDW and PWK frequently in our Citations but I'm not very familiar with single engine ops through there. Guess we'll plan on the scenic route ;-) cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhart7AC View Post
    Probably good advice guys. I've not been through there VFR. I go into ORD, MDW and PWK frequently in our Citations but I'm not very familiar with single engine ops through there. Guess we'll plan on the scenic route ;-) cheers guys
    Elkhart7AC, I disagree with those who advise you not to fly the lakeshore without a transponder. I have done so many times (20+) without problem. Flying a champ is not about getting somewhere fast, but enjoying the ride. I too am a corporate pilot, flying Challengers for the last 14 years. Still, those are time machines, not airplanes. Find a good weather day and fly just offshore at a 1000 feet. It was mentioned it is a very busy corridor. Since Meigs closed, I have rarely seen another airplane, and I only go through at Osh Kosh time when it should be especially busy. There will be no issue with the RNAV approaches and you will have the indelible memory of seeing Chicago low and slow as can only be seen in your Champ. This IS the scenic route. Best regards, Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 07-03-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Elkhart7AC, I disagree with those who advise you not to fly the lakeshore without a transponder. I have done so many times (20+) without problem. Flying a champ is not about getting somewhere fast, but enjoying the ride. I too am a corporate pilot, flying Challengers for the last 14 years. Still, those are time machines, not airplanes. Find a good weather day and fly just offshore at a 1000 feet. It was mentioned it is a very busy corridor. Since Meigs closed, I have rarely seen another airplane, and I only go through at Osh Kosh time when it should be especially busy. There will be no issue with the RNAV approaches and you will have the indelible memory of seeing Chicago low and slow as can only be seen in your Champ. This IS the scenic route. Best regards, Barry
    Last year a GA was lost at Milwaukee after upset by a DC-9's wake. Now the FAA has gone and set up a situation worse than Milwaukee with the lowered altitude on the 22 approach. If Midway is landing to the Southwest, I think I would forgo the lakeshore route to avoid the wake turbulence and chance of an upset. Why we aren't all screaming about the RNAV 22 Airspace grab is beyond me.

That at said, the lakeshore route is under under the class B and within the mode C veil. So isn't a transponder required?

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    That at said, the lakeshore route is under under the class B and within the mode C veil. So isn't a transponder required?
    Only if the airplane has (or ever had) an electrical system. A Champ may not...

I flew my Cub there in 2012 and may do it again this year.

I fly the ORD lakefront at times, no need during Airventure though. It hasn't been all that busy for me. I keep an eye out & give the airliners a wide berth. I would pay mind to the weather on the day, especially during busy Oshkosh times.

Just keep a watchful eye, should be no issues.