Thread: Lighting the torch

Lighting the torch

I have the Mecco Midget.

Can someone please explain the best way to get the Midget up and running?

What procedure and pressures do you use?

Should I do anything different going from small tips to the larger tips?

I feel like the flame I have is too small; it's almost attached to the nozzle (tip #2). Trying a #4 tip, I can't get a neutral flame; I barely add O2 and it pops or, other extreme, I can't get enough O2 to get the inner flame down. I don't understand what's wrong as I've read the manuals and watched EAA videos, etc. The tanks are nearly full.

I couldn't find an answer searching the forums.

Thank you,

John

-
    Last edited by Blue Chips; 06-30-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I would start with about 4-5 pounds on the acetylene and 15 on the oxy.
    I was going to say just the opposite- 15 lbs oxy is way too much pressure for a Meco #2 tip. 3-4 lbs each oxy and acetylene is about right. If the oxy is too high at the regulator it's harder to control at the torch and could blow the flame out.

Or better yet, ignore the gauge and do it this way- open both screws all the way (no pressure) and open the torch valves 2-3 turns. Close the acetylene screw until flow just starts, then light the torch. Increase acetylene using the screw until you get a nice flame (not sooty but not too strong, a soft hiss.) Now, start adding oxygen slowly using the screw until the flame starts to change, then slowly keep adding until you get a good neutral flame. If the flame is too small, add more acetylene, then oxygen to match. Shut down the torch and you're done- both gasses set for perfect pressure, and you never looked at the gauges.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I am unfamiliar with the Mecco Midget, looked it up and it appeared to be simply a standard set up only compact. I would think a #2 is a #2 no matter what set it is used on. For a #2 those figures should be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    I was going to say just the opposite- 15 lbs oxy is way too much pressure for a Meco #2 tip. 3-4 lbs each oxy and acetylene is about right. If the oxy is too high at the regulator it's harder to control at the torch and could blow the flame out.

Or better yet, ignore the gauge and do it this way- open both screws all the way (no pressure) and open the torch valves 2-3 turns. Close the acetylene screw until flow just starts, then light the torch. Increase acetylene using the screw until you get a nice flame (not sooty but not too strong, a soft hiss.) Now, start adding oxygen slowly using the screw until the flame starts to change, then slowly keep adding until you get a good neutral flame. If the flame is too small, add more acetylene, then oxygen to match. Shut down the torch and you're done- both gasses set for perfect pressure, and you never looked at the gauges.
    Thank's Jeff. That's one of the method's I've used (I opened torch valves 3 turns), but something about my #4 tip is giving trouble….and I still don't like the low flame with #2, but I'll make sure all is cleaned and try this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the Mecco Midget, looked it up and it appeared to be simply a standard set up only compact. I would think a #2 is a #2 no matter what set it is used on. For a #2 those figures should be a good start.
    You'd think so but not so much. The tip sizes are all over the map. Here's a good chart of the various tip sizes from different torches (you have to click on the tip chart link.) A #2 Meco is the same as a #2 Harris but nowhere near the other brands. I have the Meco and like it a lot.

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Well, aren't we glad they don't do that with wire sizes.