Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first Timer Questions - Lawn Chairs and Umbrellas

I like to travel light too, no chairs or umbrella. When the time comes just find some grass to sit down on. One can be inside a bunch, but use sunscreen as appropriate.

Be very careful sitting on the grass. I had this hideous skin breakout and I went to the medical building and they knew immediately what it was. There's a chemical they treat the grounds, it's photoactivated and some people (like me) are quite sensitive to it.

One year my wife was bitten by some unknown insect while she was sitting in the grass. Had everyone in the medical building stumped. They all had a look, shrugged their shoulders and gave her something to put on the bite.

Heading to my first AV and purchased this very portable chair. Noted in the last bout of back pack camping the lack of comfortable seating - bear canister better than nothing but far short of comfortable.
    http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
    Was on sale for 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    It's not worth the time to get a seat on the flight line. No matter where you set up your chairs there will *always* be people who stand along the flight line and block your view. I have found that it is far better to wait until the show starts and find a high wing plane to camp out under.
    This is so true. Unless your chair is right on the line and the arms are literally touching the chairs on either side of you, people will try to wedge in.

Don't obsess about being ON the flight line

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    This is so true. Unless your chair is right on the line and the arms are literally touching the chairs on either side of you, people will try to wedge in.
    My first 15 or 20 times at OSH I felt that I just HAD to be on the flight line or otherwise be cheated out of part of the experience.

Now I park (and camp) alongside the flight line. I refuse to be on the END of the row due to the rudeness of many who use your campsite as their private area, without regard to the fact that there are others also under that big wing.

I am happy to be 50'+ behind the flightline. YOu see just as much, maybe more. You also aren't fighting the "elbow" issue mentioned earlier. Leave your giant umbrella in the car.

Unattended chairs are policed pretty well. Have fun.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195