Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS - Which to get?

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    I'm very happy with Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad. I also have a Dual XGPS150 to provide GPS to my Wifi only iPad. I turn on the hotspot function on my iPhone to feed current weather to the iPad, but frankly the iPhone is plenty good enough.

Try Foreflight or FltPlan on your smart phone before you spend a fortune on a GPS. It will help you save sheckles for the mandatory ADS-B Out.
    I do not have a smart phone. Not that I have not purchased them. I gave them all to family. Myself I never wanted one. So explain a couple things to me for I have never used one.

Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight?

Tony

"Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight? "

the "smartphone" i'm using as my backup to my tablet is a motorola droid x running android 2.something and the avare app, also free. my brother in law gave it to me when he upgraded. no wireless phone plan at all. uses wifi to update before flight, runs in flight all over the USA using gps without any connection to anything (but of course will not update during the flight). readable in direct sunlight under a clear canopy, but sometimes have to tilt it a bit to avoid glare. the capabilities of competing units and operating systems are so widely varied it's impossible for me to catalog and answer if ALL units will work with only GPS all the time.

i recommend this approach (handmedowns and free apps) to see if the concept works for you and to gain a better idea what to buy before putting $$$ on the table.
    your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I do not have a smart phone. Not that I have not purchased them. I gave them all to family. Myself I never wanted one. So explain a couple things to me for I have never used one.

Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight?

Tony
    i, too, kept a "dumb phone" till last year. I then got an IPhone to use inflight. I have a glare screen on it and have no problem under a tinted canopy.

My iPhone is "self contained"...it has its own internal GPS to provide Position (and Time). Apps such as Foreflight, FltPlan, etc provide the Charts and function as a mobile Navigator determining Time, Distance, etc. Since the iPhone is a smartphone, it also connects to the cellular network when below about 4 or 5 thousand feet (some might claim in defiance of FCC Regs) providing weather and radar.

An iPad or tablet with 3G/4G I would work the same as an iPhone, albeit with a bigger screen. My iPad is wifi only so I feed it GPS from a Dual XGPS (cost less $100) .

I tried Foreflight, Jepp, AvPlan and AOPA's FlyQ EFB. I liked FF's ability to file DC SFRA flight plans, I like the fuel cost function, and the comments.

There are many people who use the iPad in flight to save money on aviation GPS updates and tend to oversell the iPad and other tablets. I love my iPad and use it for all preflight and filing functions. I do not use it in flight due to limitations that are well publicized. I use a Garmin GTN 650 in the panel and a Garmin 796 on the yoke for approach plates etc. you cannot beat a dedicated aviation GPS for in flight use. Just do some research and get what is best for you. If you can afford a dedicated aviation GPS and afford the updates, you will find them far superior to any tablet with all the attachments and wires necessary for the tablet for in flight use. I am happy to pay for GPS updates and saved my money to buy the Garmin 796 as my safety and the safety of my passengers is worth the added expense. If you cannot afford an aviation GPS for inflight use, then the iPad or another tablet may be your best option.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

I use a Nexus 7 tablet with Garmin's Pilot app. I've used it for 6 months and have no major complaints. The tablet is equipped with GPS and is wifi-only (no 3G/4G). The wifi is used on the ground to download charts and to view real time weather. Only the GPS circuit is used while flying. The tablet has Bluetooth so it will communicate with Garmins GDL-39 unit for ADS-B for inflight wx and traffic. I fly an RV in sunny Florida so even a paper chart can be hard to read at times. Readability is as good as any other device out there. Cost was $225 for the tablet and $75 for the app. I have the tablet on my leg like a kneeboard until I lash up a permanent mount.

As far as dedicated aviation GPSes are concerned, I've had an iFly 700 and now iFly 720. Great purpose-built machines at a very affordable price. As an add-on, I use iFly Streets, which is a road-navigation software package. Maybe not as necessary given the ability to navigate by land on cell phones these days, but it works great where there is no cell service (which still occasionally happens). 7-inch screen, very bright in sunlight, resistive touch screen (works with gloves), and wi-fi updates to software (720 model). It has several other nice features as well, like overhead view of the airport (sort of like Google Maps) when you're on site so you can see which runway/taxiway you're on. All in all, very pleased.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I have the IFLY 700 in my L16 (Champ) also hooked to the Radair ADBS system. Seems to work very well. Doesn't have all the features of the 720 but most of my flying is fairly local anyway. I bought the ADBS for my yearly trip and back to Oshkosh or a jaunt here and there. I like the fact you can download any sectional maps you need off the internet. The subscription for VFR is $69 year. Mike

I like the Ifly product but in the Experimental such as mine its just to big. Why I use the Bendix King handheld. Price wise I could not find anything to match it.

That BK handheld s nice. There are a couple of them in that size range. The iFly 540 came out recently that is similarly sized. I wonder if the AnywhereMap unit of similar size is still available...
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

If I every replace this unit http://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR I will go smart phone for size and cost. Plus its a phone. I carry a cell phone, but not a smart phone, on each flight so one less thing I need in my pocket or flight bag.

Tony