Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS - Which to get?

Handheld GPS - Which to get?

First time poster, long time reader.

I'm now considering buying a portable GPS but having difficulty assessing the right option. I'm a VFR pilot and do most of my flying in class G,E,D airspace, occasionally in C when into Fresno. Right now I'm still honing my VFR skills but would like to obtain IFR certification within the next year. I don't need anything extravagant but also would like to "grow into" a gps device that has more capabilities. Never flown with ADS-B systems either and with the FAA projected changes in the future would I be wise to get a system compatible with it?

Thanks.

One of the growth problems of gps has been the change in features and buttonpushing sequence among different units, even growth versions from the same manufacturer. With your goal of transference into an ifr unit, look ahead to what you'll be using and seek a portable to emulate that. For example, a friend who's been using the garmin pilot app on his ipad and iphone reports the garmin touchscreen panel mount in his buddy's arrow has the same button push sequences. garmin also offers that app for android, and a 30day trial is free. Perhaps you have a compatible device already to try it out. contact garmin customer support, maybe they could be more informative about degree of compatibility than "buddyaminesez ".

There's no such thing as an IFR handheld. An iPad and to a lesser extent the other tablets let you get multiple software at multiple levels. I've been a foreflight user for years and it's handy having real sectionals and runway diagrams (and when you're ready for them IFR Enroutes and Plates) there at your fingertips. Pretty reasonable thing for flight planning. You can add on in flight weather, etc.... if you want that or you can just use the internet on the ground to retrieve stuff for planning purposes.

Or there are some great deals out there on the older units like the Garmin 496 etc series......used it every day at work before I retired with XM weather and terrain, carry it now on every personal flight as a back up to my EFIS system. Hope that helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I use the Bendix King Av8tor handheld. You can link this with the Zaon XRX TAS and have traffic on the Av8tor screen. The biggest issue. Both companies have discontinued both units. But you can find them on ebay.

Tony

Here's one I like, the 696. Look for a slightly used one.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=72314

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    OK Jesse, my 2 cents worth. I fly with the Garmin 496 with XM WX in panel docks in my antique aircraft and love it. Very easy to fit this into old panels.
    Recently put a Garmin 795 w/GDL39 ADS-B antenna as the primary nav in my RV9 over a little iCom comm and really enjoy this for flying VFR around FL. Went with the 795 over the 796 because I use the GDL39 for traffic and weather, no need to spend the extra for XM capability.
    In my A36 I slaved a Garmin 696 w/XM WX to my 530/430 stack and use it as my map w/WX display. When I am flying between KS and FL I want a good WX display and right now the XM beats the "free" service accessed by my 795 w/GDL39.
    My choice:
    IFR - Garmin 696 w XM WX preferably slaved to your NAV1 IFR GPS for supplemental use.
    VFR - Garmin 795/796 w/GDL39 ADS-B antenna. Buy the 795 and put the difference toward the GDL39.

Whichever way you go try to mount the unit in a panel dock, makes using it a lot more convenient and you can still take it out to use in other aircraft.
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 06-28-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

If you have an iPad, foreflight and a stratus would be the best money you could spend in terms of a GPS.

Speaking of cost. I refuse to spend a grand for a GPS for an EAB.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Speaking of cost. I refuse to spend a grand for a GPS for an EAB.

Tony
    I'm very happy with Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad. I also have a Dual XGPS150 to provide GPS to my Wifi only iPad. I turn on the hotspot function on my iPhone to feed current weather to the iPad, but frankly the iPhone is plenty good enough.

Try Foreflight or FltPlan on your smart phone before you spend a fortune on a GPS. It will help you save sheckles for the mandatory ADS-B Out.