Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Airline Service: Jet Blue

Seems to me that if there is an FAR preventing using the bathroom, then your anger should be at the FAA and not the flight attendant or the airline.

Do you blame Col Sanders when the min wage employee screws up your order at KFC? If not, then blaming an airline for a FA is a bit excessive.

Further, blaming the FA (and calling her names???) would be excessive if she was actually following the FAA's rules.

I work for an airline.... the FAA does not care it was a little girl. The FAA does not care she wet herself. And the FAA would still punish the airline for violating the FAA's rules.

In my daily job I have to correct an instruct both customers and employees on proper methods to prevent FAA fines. Most of these issues seem stupid. The issues are things that common sense if used would if prevented the issue, but the issue will not cause a single threat to life or the flight (paperwork issues mainly). Still, we just had to pay 3,000 dollars in one single tiny paperwork issue, and each and every fine is kept on file for years. The FAA uses each and every one if those files as evidence against us whenever we have ANY issue. We have paid fines as large as 1.6M dollars and they use all these past minor fines to justify the penalty.

Long story short, the FAA has zero sense of humor and even less sense of compassion. We have been threatened with being shut down for what most people would consider a minor paperwork issue.

Lastly, if they had let the girl use the restroom and she had been injured..... Can you imagine the lawsuit?

Your beef should be with the FAA since it clearly seems the flight attendant was following company policy and the company policy was only following the FAA's rules.

Unless you can find the FAR that forbids PAX movement while the plane is taxiing and then show the section that lists bathroom emergencies as a defense against prosecution being listed -Your beef should be against the FAA.

Like I said, they have no sense of humor nor compassion.

You really should not blame the airline for not wanting to piss off (pun intended) the FAA.
    Last edited by ssmdive; 06-24-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Actually, as I read DOT-OST-2007-0022 on the matter, it implies that the airline is to provide adequate food, water and lavatory access up to the 3 hour mark.

Or, has taken here from Jet Blues own Customer Bill of Rights.

Accommodation during onboard ground delays

JetBlue will provide customers experiencing an onboard ground delay with 36 channels of DIRECTV®*, food and drink, access to clean restrooms and, as necessary, medical treatment. JetBlue will not permit the aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three hours unless the pilot-in-command determines there is a safety or security-related reason for remaining on the tarmac or Air Traffic Control advises the pilot-in-command that returning to the gate or another disembarkation point elsewhere in order to deplane would significantly disrupt airport operations.

This sounds more like a FA with control issues....
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 06-24-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Chuck, I am a pilot as well as some other things that have a title. But more than that, much more than that I am a Father. I am really glad you are not.

Maybe, you can think of it this way. If the U S holds prisoners at Gitmo , and part of the treatment is to deny them access to toilets, do you think that would run afoul of the Geneva Convention or the public perception of fair treatment? It would be a form of torture. And these men are for the most part hardened opponents, not a child. This little girl is an innocent 3 year old, and does not deserve to be treated that way.
    Let's say you are flying your plane when accosted by CBP thugs with guns. They might legally be able to detain you for some time, even 24 hours, but would you expect to be given access to a toilet, maybe even food and water?
    An innocent child deserves no less. Your hypothetical accident from taxiig is B S, just shows your lack of respect for the child, not to mention the Mother.
    The situation would have been so easy to solve so quickly with a little consideration.

AAron, thanks very much for your information and input. I hope you have kids.

Folks, I'm really struggling to see the relevance of this thread to recreational aviation. There are probably better places on the interwebs to argue about airline policy than on the EAA Forums.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Folks, I'm really struggling to see the relevance of this thread to recreational aviation. There are probably better places on the interwebs to argue about airline policy than on the EAA Forums.
    Zack's right, there are many, many better places...This one has run its course.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation