Thread: Garmin Touch + Garmin GTN 650

Garmin Touch + Garmin GTN 650

I purchased a flight display Garmin Touch plus a Garmin GTN 650 for my homebuilt.

My question to anyone: Do I need another backup certified radionavigation device to get my IFR Cirtificat of Navigation?

There is no FAR requirement for backup navigation when flying IFR. Which is not the same as what you need to get safely to your destination on a bad day. I will suggest that you want some backup gear that will allow you to fly the IFR procedure at your destination if you primary gear fails.

And never trust your life to a battery.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by Christiangodin View Post
    I purchased a flight display Garmin Touch plus a Garmin GTN 650 for my homebuilt.

My question to anyone: Do I need another backup certified radionavigation device to get my IFR Cirtificat of Navigation?
    Like Wes mentioned, not required but prudent. When flying in IMC, I have redundant everything. Now if Van's would just make a twin, I would have a back up for the engine as well. :^)

The GTN650 can perform all the required tasks to pass your checkride. Just read the install manual about whether or not external annuciators will be required or not.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler