Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Souza reduction drive

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    10mm sleeve lengths vary - 3 are 34mm, and 3 are 37mm
    That is probably so it can't be installed backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Part number - if only I knew. See highlighted text in picture
    The "127?" I have no idea because there is just no dimension I can get to match 127
    I don't see anything else that could be a part number, and this is just a guess, but this manufacturer probably makes these in several sizes, the 127 may be their size/model designation

My german is very rusty but I think the other letters say this side toward ???

edit - a quick google search shows my german is mostly correct according to some Mercedes forums, google "diese seite z gelenkw" is "this side toward driveshaft", spend some time reading the forums & you can probably figure out what it is from

well now that is interesting, the 3 post after the coupler pic weren't there 5 minutes ago. I guess you have it figured out.

When one of the bolts in the original drive coupler broke the nut rattled around inside the coupler chamber for some time as is evident in the first photos. Eventually it must have worn down sufficiently for the flywheel to shoot it out of the bottom of the chamber. Before leaving the engine compartment, the nut took a nice swipe at the back of the oil cooler coming close to cutting open a couple of the oil passageways in the cooler. A new oil cooler from Pegasus Racing Supplies and a pair of OEM replacement drive couplers arrived last Friday and I was back in the air yesterday enjoying a very smoothly running drive system.

Thanks to all who responded! Turns out the splined flange is a custom piece so no chance of getting a replacement. I have imposed a 50 hour check on the drive assembly which means removing the gearbox but it is a relatively simple task and only takes a few hour start to finish.

Last photos are of the damaged oil cooler and the ground run with new parts in place.

Name:  100_8998.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  46.0 KBName:  100_9021.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  42.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a Joe Souza Gearbox for a EA81 that has only 25 hours of use that I will sell cheap. If anyone is interested I can be reached at 860-86six-61zero4
    Thanks
    Len
    Attached Images Attached Images