Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First oshkosh

Hi Folks, I've been to Oshkosh several times now, but never camped out in General camping. I've already pre-registered and am coming in with a rental car and my camping gear. I have a few questions:

1. Do I come in by the museum or the South gate? Can I register at the south gate? Otherwise, it looks like I come in at the West gate. Do I immediately stop at registration, or find a camp site first? Is registration right there at the west gate? (I've looked all thru the AirVenture camping document, but it doesn't say, honest!) I guess the question is what's the best way to get in, how do I get in, check in and find a site?

2. Once, do I just drive up and down the streets looking for an empty spot?

Thanks for your help. I've met nothing but nice people associated with AirVenture and am looking forward to another great year of enjoying the company of fellow aviators.

Mike

Check in at the west gate, and yes, drive around until you find your spot.

It's not hard.. when you approach the field from the highway there are big signs that say EAA CAMPING that direct you to the appropriate entrance. Essentially, you get off at county road N and run up the frontage road to the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdewey View Post
    Hi Folks, I've been to Oshkosh several times now, but never camped out in General camping. I've already pre-registered and am coming in with a rental car and my camping gear. I have a few questions:

1. Do I come in by the museum or the South gate? Can I register at the south gate? Otherwise, it looks like I come in at the West gate. Do I immediately stop at registration, or find a camp site first? Is registration right there at the west gate? (I've looked all thru the AirVenture camping document, but it doesn't say, honest!) I guess the question is what's the best way to get in, how do I get in, check in and find a site?

2. Once, do I just drive up and down the streets looking for an empty spot?

Thanks for your help. I've met nothing but nice people associated with AirVenture and am looking forward to another great year of enjoying the company of fellow aviators.

Mike
    I posted this earlier in the thread, but it really is a good guide for first timers......

http://www.upaero.com/oshkoshairshowcampingguide.pdf
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I read it when I first went through this thread. It was a great read and helped lots. From what the other people wrote, it looks like it should actually be fairly simple, especially since I'm looking to get in around 6 am on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get in a little closer than he did, but then again, a 1.5 mile walk one way helps me work off that rib-sticking Wisconsin food!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdewey View Post
    I read it when I first went through this thread. It was a great read and helped lots. From what the other people wrote, it looks like it should actually be fairly simple, especially since I'm looking to get in around 6 am on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get in a little closer than he did, but then again, a 1.5 mile walk one way helps me work off that rib-sticking Wisconsin food!

At 6am you shouldn't have any problems getting through the gate (if it's open then). Most of the camp will be sleeping. By Saturday night, most everything east of 46th street will be full. I suspect that line may actually be even further west that 46th.

Usually, it gets pretty hilarious watching people searching for sites on Sunday afternoon. For some reason, they believe they can get a close site at the eleventh hour. Then they will drive down the same street multiple times. Common sense doesn't always prevail and those folks stick out. I guess they think somebody will pull up their tents and move. After the third pass, you really begin to wonder what they are thinking.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Yep, gate opens at 6. And thanks for the tip about the street.

I remember last year, we got there the Wednesday before so we could park some of the mass arrivals for the parking crew. It was FREEZING. They were calling it Frostkosh. It warmed up during the airshow and was fairly hot. The year before that was Sloshkosh because it rained so much. The midwest is notorious for erratic weather (not as erratic as some places though), so be prepared for all types of weather as I'm sure other people in the thread have told you.